Outcomes and Careers
The Department of Art plays an important role in helping students meet the five major competencies of Gallaudet's new General Studies Curriculum:
- Language and Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Identity and Culture
- Knowledge and Inquiry
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
The Department has established student learning outcomes (SLOs) for the BA degree programs. The SLOs are available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (Download Acrobat Reader).
Outcome 1: The major will provide evidence of creativity, technical abilities and critical thinking by:
- Developing a portfolio that provides a critical body of work related to the student's major area of focus.
- Demonstrating competency to the entire Art Department faculty during a formal critique and discussion of artworks assembled from the past and present.
- Producing an individual or small group exhibition, virtual display, or video including an "Artist's Statement" that explains the research and creative process employed in its creation.
- Giving a presentation to the campus community about the research conducted and area of focus.
Outcome 2: The major will provide evidence of the understanding of community and the ways in which art can promote positive social change by:
- Completing an Internship to gain knowledge, experience and skills that will be used to enact positive social change in the future.
- Participating in department programs as required through coursework, such as lectures, gallery exhibits, student shows, receptions, and other special events both on and off campus.
Graduates with a degree in art have gone on to graduate school or careers in the following areas:
- Museum Studies
- Archival Services
- Visual Analysis (i.e. Radiology)
- Graduate School - M.A. or Ph.D
- Exhibition Design
- Industrial Design
- Theatre - Set Design
Graphic Design and Digital Media
- Advertising Agency
- Design Firm
- Media Group
- Corporations: In-house design
- Public Relations Production
- Film/TV/Video Production
- Video Development
- Web Design
- Publication Design
- Video Streaming
- Interactive Multimedia Design
- Interface Design