Tax Information for the Year 2013
Dates for the 2013 Income Tax Preparation Day are below:
Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Friday, March 15, 2013 - 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
The income tax preparation day will take place in the Ely Center, Room 202D.
All students are required to file U.S. income tax returns regardless of whether they work or not. Accordingly, you are required to file Form 8843, even if you did not earn any income in the U.S. last year. This requirement applies to any person with a F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 visa.
International Student Services strongly encourages you to attend the tax service for assistance in filling out the required forms. To benefit, you must identify yourself as an international student. You should also be aware that some parts of your scholarships may be taxable.
Federal returns and State of DC, MD, and VA tax returns are due April 15th, 2013.
You must bring the following documents to the tax service:
· I-94 card
· Form I-20 (for F-1 or F-2) or Form DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2)
· Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
· Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters you may have received from your institution or sponsor
· W-2 Forms
· Copies of your 1040NR(EZ) filed for tax year 2012
· Interest from the bank in 2012 (if any)
· Form 1099MISC
Please note that ISS staff members cannot give advice about taxes!