The International Student Services (ISS) department would like to warmly welcome all international students who are entering the globally unique environment of Gallaudet University. The main role of the ISS office is to ease international students’ transition to life in the United States and at Gallaudet University, and to assist current students who are seeking advice on academic matters, immigration regulations and other concerns.
Note: Our office works primarily with international students who are here under an F-1 Visa Status. If you are in the United States with a J-1 or a J-2 Visa Status, you will be working with the Global Education and Scholar Services department.
Our services include the following:
· Reviewing a portion of the prospective student applications as well as evaluating financial documents by issuing Certificates of Eligibility (Forms I-20) to order for students to obtain visas.
· Providing immigration issues and law updates.
· Providing education regarding federal regulations.
· Assisting in various student procedures including, but not limited to:
o Program Extensions
o Change of Educational Level
o Work Authorizations
o Transfers to Gallaudet University from another university
o Transfers to another university from Gallaudet University
o Lost immigration documents
o Course load reduced
o Renewal student visas
· Advising students with social, cultural and personal adjustment issues.
· Reviewing student visas, passports and Forms I-20 for travel abroad.
· Assisting with cultural events planning.
· Advising students on academic concerns.
· Providing referrals to other units on campus. Providing referrals to immigration attorneys and to consulates.
· Providing referrals to embassies for renewal passport.
· Providing resources for addressing financial concerns.
· Issuing update immigration documents.
· Educating faculty and staff on immigration regulations.
· Providing referrals to income tax filing services.