Maintaining Legal F-1 Status
To maintain a legal F-1 status, the student must follow the Immigration regulations as outlined below.
F-1 students must have:
· A valid Form I-20
· A valid passport
· A full-time course load
Undergraduates need to have 12 credits hour per semester
Graduates need to have 9 credits hour per semester
English Language Institute students need to have 18 credits hour per semester
For employment, F-1 students are:
· Allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week per semester
· Allowed to work on campus up to 40 hours per week during summer or winter vacation
· Not allowed to work off campus without proper authorization
· Eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) **ELI students not eligible
· Eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) **ELI students not eligible
· Eligible for Employment Authorization (based on severe economic hardship) **ELI students not eligible
Lastly, F-1 students must:
· Report a change of address to International Student Services within 10 days
· Follow USCIS procedures for transferring to another USCIS approved university or college
· Follow USCIS procedures for moving from one program or educational level to another, such as changing from a Bachelor's degree to a Master's degree.
· Maintain a check up on the expiration date on the Form I-20
It is your responsibility to know and comply with all immigration regulations affecting your visa status.
Failure to comply with these regulations will mean the LOSS of your F-1 student status.