An Important Note about Battery Care and Disposal
This information is part of an online guide, Resources for Mainstream Programs
It is important to store, and dispose of, hearing aid batteries in a secure place where they cannot be accessed by children or pets. Batteries are considered poisonous and can be dangerous if swallowed. They are also easily misplaced because of their small size. We suggest the teacher or other school professional hold batteries for young children. A desk or closet that is inaccessible to students is appropriate. Batteries should not be refrigerated or stored in direct sunlight. When a battery needs to be replaced, dispose of the used battery in a secure container (not just in a garbage can or waste basket). Many schools and communities recycle batteries, so check with a local audiologist to see if this service is available in your school or community.