Declaring a Major
Admission to the English major program
- A writing test score equivalent to a 4.0 or higher on the Gallaudet Writing Evaluation or its equivalent;
- ACT Reading score of 22+; SAT Verbal score of 510+; a score of 80 or better on the Degrees of Reading Power (DRP) exam; or equivalent
- A grade of B or better in ENG 208 or its equivalent;
- Recommendations from two English instructors;
- A copy of the applicant's transcript;
- Two essays. These are to be sent to the major/minor coordinator for inclusion in the application file;
- A letter of application; and
- An interview with the major/minor coordinator.
Admission to the major/minor is conditional upon acceptance by a Major Review Committee which will consider the above-mentioned criteria when determining which student may major/minor in English. Students who are not approved by the Major Review Committee may appeal to the department chair.
To continue in the program, English majors and minors must obtain a GPA average of "C" or better in their major/minor coursework.
Students who have not yet declared a major/minor in the English Department may take up to twelve credits of courses numbered 380 or above with permission of the English major/minor coordinator; thereafter, admission to the major/minor program is required.