Research Center Director and Tenure-Track Faculty Position, Department of Hearing, Speech, and Language Sciences
Department: Department of Hearing, Speech, and Language SciencesJob Number: UF-110816130702Date Posted
|Research Center Director and Tenure-Track Faculty Position
: 8/16/2011Status: Accepting applications
Gallaudet University seeks a full-time tenure-track faculty member who will be assigned to the Hearing Speech and Language Sciences Department. In addition to teaching at least two courses per year and serving as a faculty member in the Ph.D. program in Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences (HSLS), the primary responsibility for this position will be to serve as Director of the Gallaudet University Research Center on the Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences (GURC-HSLS). This new center will serve as a platform for Gallaudet University's Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center (RERC) on Hearing Enhancement and serve as a catalyst for the development of future research in the hearing, speech and language sciences and related disciplines. This faculty member will work closely with the Director of the RERC on Hearing Enhancement and the Chair of the HSLS Department, and will participate in university efforts to realize an increased level of research and knowledge creation, as mandated in the University's recently adopted Gallaudet Strategic Plan (GSP).Qualifications:
1. Ph.D. in the Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences, or a related discipline.
2. Distinguished publications and grant record.
3. Significant experience as a faculty member at a University commensurate with an appointment to the rank of Associate or Full Professor
4. A demonstrated commitment to collaborative, interdisciplinary, and team-based research.
5. Fluency in American Sign Language and knowledge of Deaf Culture, or commitment to learn.Responsibilities:
1. Teach at least two courses per year in an area of expertise in the Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences.
2. Work with the HSLS Department, collaborating departments, and research partners to improve Gallaudet's AuD program in Audiology, M.S. Program in Speech-Language Pathology and Ph.D. program in Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences.
3. Conduct a program of research that contributes significantly to the mission of the HSLS Department and the University.
4. Direct the Gallaudet University Research Center on the Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences.
Rank and salary: Rank (Associate or Full Professor) and salary commensurate with qualifications. Credit for time in rank and progress toward tenure may be awarded at the time of hire, depending on qualifications. The position is a full time 11 months faculty appointment, with an additional one month granted for the responsibilities required to effectively direct the Research Center on Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences (HSLS). Preferred starting date: August 16, 2011.Application Information:
Application deadline: we will begin reviewing applications on August 1, 2011 and we will continue to receive and review applications until the position is filled.
To apply: send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to:
Dr. Matthew H. Bakke, Chair
Department of Hearing, Speech and Language Sciences
Sorenson language and communication Center, number 3114
800 Florida Ave., North East
Washington, DC 20002
HSLS website: http://hsls.gallaudet.edu/
RERC on Hearing Enhancement Website: http://www.hearingresearch.org/
Gallaudet University serves deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a work force that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women and veterans to apply for open positions.