Online Degree Completion Program
Ms Thelma Schroeder, Director
Student Academic Center, Room 2239
Gallaudet University offers the Online Degree Completion Program (ODCP) for students who are at least 24 years old, who are un-able to be on campus full-time, and who seek an individualized study program. Students will register at Gallaudet University in the ODCP at odcp.gallaudet.edu. Currently, there is one degree attainment avenue for Adult Learners at Gallaudet: the Adult Degree Completion Program (ADCP). Students can earn college credits through coursework offered in a variety of settings: onsite courses at Gallaudet University (GU) campus, online courses owned by the university and taught by its faculty, online courses from the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU)--of which Gallaudet is a participating institution, or hybrids -taking courses partly onsite and partly online. Students can also earn college credit for work or other experiences, which have led to the attainment of college level knowledge and skills, in the Life Experience Assessment Program (LEAP). For the online degree completion program, at least 30 credits of the total degree requirement must be or must have been earned from courses owned by GU and taught by its faculty. OCICU, transfer credit, and credit through the LEAP may not be applied to this 30-GU-credit minimum.
Delivery Systems for Courses
Gallaudet courses may be taken in a number of different formats. While most of our classes are offered as onsite courses, an increasing number of courses involve some degree of online interaction. Many of our teachers combine face-to-face teaching with materials and exercises posted to a website. In addition, we offer a variety of online courses for undergraduate, graduate and PST credit. Through our extension program, we also bring credited courses or contract classes to requested sites given an adequate group of participants. Gallaudet University also has state-of-the art facilities to provide online courses or video conferencing on the main campus and at the Gallaudet University Regional Centers in various parts of the United States.
There are three types of Gallaudet online courses:
- those owned by Gallaudet University and taught by its faculty
- those offered via the Online Consortium of Independent Colleges and Universities (OCICU, - ocicu.org/studentaccess.asp)--of which Gallaudet is a participating institution.
Students seeking online courses will be advised accordingly. Most online classes are offered in an 8-week accelerated format throughout the year.
Online Student Orientation
Online Degree Completion Program students must complete the Online Degree Completion Program online student orientation. For further information, visit the ODCP website.
Online Degree Completion Program - Admissions
Online Degree Completion Program Admission Requirements
Applicants must be at least 24 years old or show evidence of financial independence (two years of Tax Returns) to apply for admission to the Online Degree Program. The following documents must be submitted to be considered for admissions to the university:
- An application form completed and signed by the applicant. Completion of answers, including an essay question, is a required part of the application form.
- An application fee of $50 USD payable to Gallaudet University.
- Applicants who have completed less than 12 semester hours of college English and/or Mathematics must submit ACT or SAT Scores dated no more than three years prior to application to ODCP program. ACT test scores in English and Reading of 17 and above, or SAT Critical Reading and Writing scores of 420 and above are considered satisfactory.
- ACT: Send to College Code 0662
- SAT: Send to College Code 5240
- Official transcripts from colleges. Evidence of high school graduation or GED is required for those who have earned less than 12 college credits.
- An audiogram.
- Hearing applicants must follow Gallaudet University Hearing Undergraduate Admission Requirements stated in the catalog.
- International applicants must follow the International Student Admission Requirements stated in the catalog.
- Transfer students who have completed fewer than 12 semester hours of college English and/or Mathematics credit or achieved less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average must submit recent standardized test scores and a final high school transcript. Students who have completed 12 or more semester hours of transferable credit (with a grade of C or above in each course), completed both English and mathematics courses and achieved a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade point average will be notified by the Office of Admissions if standardized test scores are required. Applicants may request official evaluation of transferable college credits. Gallaudet will accept any college-level course completed with a grade of "C" or better at any college or university.
Online Degree Completion Program applications will be considered on an ongoing basis. Applicants will be considered for admission after all required application materials are received.
Online Learning Eligibility
To be considered for the online degree completion program admission, students must show evidence of completion of the Online Degree Completion Program online student orientation program to determine their eligibility to take online courses. For further information, visit the ODCP website.
Refer to the following links for more information on the program and the curriculum.