Download PDF

Residence Life

The Office of Residence Life and Housing

Ely Center, Room 132

The Office of Residence Life and Housing, a unit of Student Affairs, has the primary responsibility for the management of facilities and programs in the six residence halls, Faculty Row houses, and the Kendall apartment complex. Residence Life provides quality programming, ensures the safety and security of the residents, proper referrals to available services on- and off-campus, maintains discipline in the residence halls, Faculty Row houses, and Kendall Apartments, and runs several paraprofessional programs in and out of the residence halls. Residence Life and Housing also provides a fee-based incoming and outgoing fax service in the main office for students.

Residence Halls

First and second year students are required to reside in the University residence halls. Living in one of the University's six residence halls and the Faculty Row Houses offers students a unique opportunity to become an integral part of a campus community. While living in the residence halls, opportunities for social, mental, and emotional growth are greatly enhanced. Gallaudet encourages an appreciation of diversity, and residence life offers real-life opportunities to increase understanding and interactions with students from a variety of cultural, geographical, educational, and communication backgrounds.

Residence halls are staffed by teams of professional staff, graduate student paraprofessionals, and undergraduate student paraprofessionals. Eligibility criteria for on-campus housing are: students must have a full-time course load in an academic program [defined as twelve (12) credits for undergraduate students or nine (9) credits for graduate students per academic semester] in order to live on campus. Anyone carrying less than this number of credits must have permission from the Office of Residence Life and Housing in order to live on campus.

Housing for Single/Married Students with Children

Housing is available on a limited basis in unfurnished apartments located on the upper level of the Kendall Demonstration Elementary School for students who have children. To reside in the Kendall Apartment Complex apartment with children, at least one parent must carry a full academic load.  Individuals such as boy/girlfriends do not qualify as residents.  To apply, please submit a completed Family Housing Form to the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

Housing for Married Students with No Dependent Children

Housing is available on a limited basis in unfurnished apartments located in the residence halls for married couples. To reside in married housing, at least one spouse must carry a full academic load. Children may not live with parent(s) who are students residing in the residence halls. To apply, please submit a completed Married Housing Form to the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

About Gallaudet
2014 Presidential Search
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Daily Digest
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2015 Gallaudet University