A University-wide Honor Society, Phi Alpha Pi, is the scholastic honor society of Gallaudet University. Seniors (with academic degree averages of 3.3 or above and at least 3.0 for their freshman and sophomore years) are nominated for membership. Not more than 10 percent of the senior class may be elected to membership. Juniors (one student in a class of 100 or fewer and not more than 1 percent of a larger class) may be elected if their academic records are clearly superior (a degree average of 3.5 or more). Honorary members may also be elected from alumni, faculty, and staff.
The following academic Honor Societies are available to undergraduate students whose work excels in specific disciplines:
- Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society
- Lambda Pi Eta National Honor Society in Communication Studies
- Phi Alpha, Mu Chapter National Honor Society in Social Work.
- Phi Sigma Iota, National Foreign Language Honor Society
- Psi Chi National Honor Society in Psychology
Please see the appropriate section for each Department for details.