The Art Program plays an important role in helping students meet the five major competencies of Gallaudet's new General Studies Curriculum:
- Language and Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Identity and Culture
- Knowledge and Inquiry
- Ethics and Social Responsibility
The Art Program has established student learning outcomes (SLOs) for the BA degree programs. The SLOs are available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format (Download Acrobat Reader).
Outcome 1: The major will provide evidence of creativity, technical abilities and critical thinking by:
- Developing a portfolio that provides a critical body of work related to the student's major area of focus.
- Demonstrating competency to the entire Art Department faculty during a formal critique and discussion of artworks assembled from the past and present.
- Producing an individual or small group exhibition, virtual display, or video including an "Artist's Statement" that explains the research and creative process employed in its creation.
- Giving a presentation to the campus community about the research conducted and area of focus.
Outcome 2: The major will provide evidence of the understanding of community and the ways in which art can promote positive social change by:
- Completing an Internship to gain knowledge, experience and skills that will be used to enact positive social change in the future.
- Participating in department programs as required through coursework, such as lectures, gallery exhibits, student shows, receptions, and other special events both on and off campus.
Graduates with a degree in art have gone on to graduate school or careers in the following areas:
- Museum Studies
- Archival Services
- Visual Analysis (i.e. Radiology)
- Graduate School - M.A. or Ph.D
- Exhibition Design
- Industrial Design
- Theatre - Set Design
Graphic Design and Digital Media
- Advertising Agency
- Design Firm
- Media Group
- Corporations: In-house design
- Public Relations Production
- Film/TV/Video Production
- Video Development
- Web Design
- Publication Design
- Video Streaming
- Interactive Multimedia Design
- Interface Design