Administration and Operations Manual
4.01 Staff Appointments
15 Oct 2004
Refer Questions To:
Director, Human Resources
This policy applies to staff in all offices and divisions of Gallaudet University, unless specifically covered by collective bargaining agreements made between Gallaudet University and certified bargaining agents.
Gallaudet University Administration
Staff appointments consider three main factors: (1) authorized status; (2) appointment schedule; and (3) length of work week. The benefits to which an employee is eligible depend primarily on the authorized status of the appointment. The appointment schedule and length of the work week influence many of the benefits accrual or award rates. Employees should refer to the specific benefits policy or plan document for eligibility and other information.
- Authorized Status
- Regular Status: Positions require an authorized position slot that is incorporated in the University's staffing plan and operating budget. Positions supported by grants or other sources of income may be considered for regular status depending on funding levels and anticipated duration of the appointment. Employees are eligible for a wide range of benefits.
- Temporary Status: Positions are clearly temporary in nature. They do not require an authorized position slot and are not incorporated in the University's staffing plan; however, they must be approved and sufficient funds must be available.
- Extended Temporary: Appointment is 90 days to one year, renewable one time if necessary. Employees are eligible for a limited number of benefits.
- Short-Term Temporary: Appointment is up to 90 days. Appointment may be renewed one time only for a maximum of 180 days. Employees are generally ineligible for benefits except those required by law, and time worked is not counted in determining length of service.
- Call-in, Substitute, or Incidental: Employees are called in periodically as needed or work 20 or fewer hours per week in positions which supplement the full-time work force (e.g.,weekend help) or support special programs (e.g., tutors). Employees are generally ineligible for benefits except those required by law, and time worked is not counted in determining length of service.
- Student Status: Only students enrolled at Gallaudet are undergraduate students enrolled for at least 12 credit hours and graduate students enrolled for at least 9 credit hours are considered full-time. Students enrolled for fewer hours are considered part-time. Students are generally ineligible for benefits except those required by law.
- Appointment Schedules
- Full Year Appointment: Employees are scheduled to work throughout the year.
- Academic Calendar Appointment: Employees work a nine or ten month appointment which coincides with the academic calendar. Additional days may be assigned as needed.
- Flex Year Appointment: Employees are scheduled to work fewer than 12 months per year. Additional days may be assigned as needed.
- Any other appointment not specifically defined by A, B, or C above.
- Length of Work Week
- Full-Time: Employees work a minimum of eight hours per day, five days per week or 40 hours per week.
- Part-Time: Employees work fewer than 40 hours per week.