Administration and Operations Manual
4.11 Annual Leave
17 May 2013
Refer Questions To:
Director, Human Resources
This policy applies to regular and extended temporary staff in all offices and divisions of Gallaudet University, unless specifically covered by collective bargaining agreements made between Gallaudet University and certified bargaining agents.
Gallaudet University Board of Trustees
Paid annual leave provides eligible employees with time off for rest and relaxation and to conduct personal business. Eligible employees earn annual leave, beginning from the first day of employment, according to the following schedule:
|AMOUNT OF ANNUAL LEAVE EARNED PER PAY PERIOD
|Number of Paid Hours Per Pay Period
||Less Than 3 Years Cumulative Service
||3 Years but Less Than 15 Years Cumulative Service
||15 Years Service or More Cumulative Service
|60 - 79
||4 1/2 hours
|40 - 59
|20 - 39
||1 1/2 hours
|1 - 19
The University does not recognize prior employment at Federal or District agencies in determining length of service for annual leave accrual rates. It does recognize prior regular or extended temporary employment at Gallaudet. Annual leave may not be borrowed in advance. Except in emergency situations, annual leave must be requested and approved in advance by the supervisor.
Faculty members or teachers who have not accrued annual leave and who are involuntarily transferred to staff status within their division are credited with a bank account of two days of annual leave for every full year of continuous service at Gallaudet up to a maximum of 30 days. Prior service is not recognized when establishing the bank of annual leave.
- Persons appointed to certain administrative level positions earn annual leave at the rate of six hours per 80 hour pay period as soon as they start employment.
Employees may carry over hours of unused annual leave from one fiscal (leave) year to the next year based on the following schedule:
||Last day of leave year*
||Maximum Hours Carried Over
Based on Years of Service
|September 30, 2011
||September 11, 2011
|September 30, 2012
||September 10, 2012
|September 30, 2013
||September 8, 2013
|September 30, 2014
||September 21, 2014
* This is the last date to use annual leave for the fiscal (leave) year.
- Unused annual leave in excess of the maximum balance as indicated in procedure #2 is forfeited at the end of the fiscal (leave) year.
- Unused annual leave is paid by the department from which the employee is separating and is paid at the rate it was last earned.
- Separating employees receive a lump sum payment for unused annual leave up to the maximum year end balances outlined in Procedure #2.
- If an approved holiday occurs during an employee's vacation, those hours are not charged to annual leave.
- Consideration is given to all requests for annual leave and the employee's preference is respected whenever practicable. However, the University reserves the right to deny requests for leave, particularly when the absence would negatively affect departmental or unit operations.
- Employees who are on paid annual leave continue to accrue leave in the usual manner.