1) Have you passed all of your courses with a B or above?
WARNING: You are only allowed one B- during your graduate studies. If you have other grades with a B- or below in a course required for this program, you may repeat the same course with permission of the program coordinator only one time. Receiving a B- or below automatically calls for the program coordinator to review the student's performance and may be grounds for a recommendation for academic probation or dismissal by the Graduate School dean.
2) Is your cumulative GPA 3.0 or above?
WARNING: You must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in order to graduate. An average GPA of 3.0 is required as evidence of satisfactory work. A GPA below 3.0 is considered to be below the acceptable level of performance and automatically calls for the program coordinator to review your performance and may be grounds for a recommendation for academic probation or dismissal by the Graduate School dean.
3) Have you successfully received your ASL Teachers' Association (ASLTA) certification? You need a national certification from your home country in order to graduate. If your home country does not have a national certification, other arrangements will be made. If you fail or do not receive your national certification prior to graduation (either December, May or August), you will need to pay continuous enrollment of $100 each semester to keep your student status active with Gallaudet until you are able to successfully receive your national certification.
NOTE: ASLTA partially shuts down during the summer due to evaluators being on vacation, so there is a slower turn-around for ASLTA applications submitted during the summer.
4) Have you applied for graduation? *Deadline is first week of December for December, May or August graduation: http://www.gallaudet.edu/Documents/Registrar/forms/Grad%20Career%20Graduation%20Application%20.pdf
5) If you have not applied for graduation, and you are not registered for courses during the fall or spring, you must ask and pay for continuing enrollment status. A continuous enrollment status keeps your status active with the University) for the semester. Continuous enrollment is $100 per semester (fall/spring). If you forget to do this, you will be discontinued, and then you will have to reapply to be readmitted back into the program. To request continuous enrollment, please fill out and email the following forms
to Graduate School support specialist, Katie Spiegel at email@example.com
6) Have only 1 or 2 courses to take during the summer? Want to apply for early graduation? You will need to have less than 6 credits remaining in the final summer in order to march in the May graduation ceremony. Fill this form out by March 1st, send to program coordinator: http://www.gallaudet.edu/Documents/Grad/PetitionToMarchForm.pdf
7) Ready for graduation? Now the itty bitty gritty details such as how to order your lovely cap and gown as well as your commencement tickets to distribute to family and friends, location, schedule and details, how to watch graduation online and... yes, graduating students can stay on campus for free from Wednesday through Saturday during commencement. For more details, check out the links below: