Clerc Center implements bullying prevention program
Across the nation, schools are finding new ways to address bullying. The Clerc Center joined this nationwide effort by training personnel this summer on the implementation of the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program (OBPP). The program will officially launch at both the Kendall Demonstration Elementary School and the Model Secondary School for the Deaf in January 2013.
"The OBPP focuses on reducing bullying through improved social relations among students of all ages. The program reaches out to those who are bullied- and to those who bully. It takes the power out of bullying and creates a safe school where all students can learn," said Cynthia Hunt, OBPP coordinator. "OBPP is a true community-wide effort; it draws support from teachers, staff, administrators, parents, and students to help sustain its success."
The OBPP offers about 35 different class-based activities that are designed for different grade levels: from K-3, to grades 4-6, to middle and high school students. Clerc Center teachers, staff, and school administrators will be primarily responsible for implementing the program.
To prepare, the OBPP Coordinating Committee organized a two-day training session on August 9-10. OBPP presenters Mary Weiner, director of Adult Degree Program at Gallaudet University, and Marsha Miceli, director of the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf Student Development and School-Wide Programs, emphasized that the success of the program will depend on the adults involved.
As part of the training, Weiner and Miceli reviewed national data statistics on bullying in elementary and high schools among hearing students and compared them to the results of a survey on bullying given to KDES and MSSD students last year. The trainers praised the Clerc Center for being one of the frontrunners among schools for the deaf in implementing the OBPP.
Serving on the Clerc Center OBPP committee are:
- Cynthia Hunt, OBPP coordinator and KDES counselor
- Wendy Armstrong, supervisor, KDES services, Transportation
- Pat Austin, MSSD parent
- Doug Bortoletto, MSSD residential educator
- Holly Bullard, MSSD residential educator
- Yvonne Catt, MSSD student support specialist
- Steven Doleac, MSSD recreation specialist, KDES & MSSD parent
- Mindi Failing, MSSD principal
- Silvia Golocovsky, coordinator of student services
- Robert Haughton, MSSD parent
- Michael Hollywood, MSSD teacher
- Lauralynn Helms-Salit, MSSD operations coordinator
- Lynn Olden King, KDES transition counselor
- Mary Ann Kinsella-Meier, products manager
- Kitty Monahan-Sewell, MSSD school counselor
- Taiyabah Naeem, MSSD teaching fellow
- Kristi Ann Nolan, KDES teacher
- Chris Odgen, KDES parent
- Deborah Rickey, MSSD parent
- Sara Stallard, MSSD teacher
- Nanette Virnig, KDES after school programs coordinator
- Charlene Ward, manager of educational planning
- Tyese Wright, MSSD transition specialist
For more information about OBPP