MSSD celebrates 30 years of dance concerts
This February 3, 4, and 5, dancers will grace the stage of the Model Secondary School for the Deaf’s (MSSD) Theatre Malz as part of a long and proud artistic tradition at the school. The MSSD Performing Arts Program provides a venue for both up-and-coming and dancers and established professionals. The annual dance concert sets the stage for the current high school students to try out roles as performers and choreographers, as well as graphic designers of program books, tickets, and promotional fliers, and back stage crew. The inclusion of professional dance companies from around the world gives the students excellent role models for taking their work to the next level.
"It is very gratifying to see MSSD alumni return to Theatre Malz in new roles as professional dancers and choreographers," said Yola Rozynek, dance concert producer and director. "We have also forged many dance partnerships with dance and school companies through the years— our audiences have gotten to see dances performed by deaf dancers from Asia, Africa, South and Central America, Europe, and the United States. We’ve named this year’s concert—DANCE-tastic in celebration of those fantastic years. "
The choreographers for the MSSD student dance numbers will include: Ameena Patterson (jazz/Afro/hip hop), Wade Green (modern), Briana Johnson (hip hop), Jason Almendarez (contemporary), Mervin Primeaux (modern/jazz), Antonio Webb (hip hop), and Yola Rozynek (emotional modern).
The guest companies will include:
- Urban Jazz (Antoine Hunter)
- Antonio Webb-Soloist
- Bison with Attitude Dance Company
- Dynamic Duo (Wade Green and Ameena Patterson)
- Gallaudet Dance Company
- The Wild Zappers/National Deaf Dance Theater
- Pentimento International (Alexandria Wailes, Wade Green, Jubil Khan, Mervin Primeaux, Ameena Patterson, Antoine Hunter, Warren "Wawa" Snipe, and Yola Rozynek; with choreography by Alexandria Wailes, Antoine, Hunter and Mervin Primeaux)
- Thursday, February 2, at 10 a.m.
- Friday, February 3, at 8 p.m.
- Saturday, February 4, at 8 p.m.
For ticket reservations:
- E-mail Yolanta.Rozynek@gallaudet.edu
- Call (202) 651-5031
- Fax to (202) 651-5109
- $8 - Adults
- $7 - College students and senior citizens with I.D.
- $3 - Per person for school groups.