Mission & Belief Statements and Profile of Graduates
Mission of Kendall Demonstration Elementary School and the Model Secondary School for the Deaf
Kendall Demonstration Elementary School and the Model Secondary School for the Deaf, the national demonstration schools for deaf and hard of hearing students, are diverse communities implementing a rigorous and innovative program where students excel academically, achieve personal excellence, and thrive in a bilingual environment in which ASL and English are equally valued. Students graduate ready to begin college or a career and to be self-determined, engaged citizens of the 21st century.
- We believe in educating the whole child and that developing each student’s unique abilities and a positive sense of identity is critical for school achievement and success throughout life.
- We believe that all students, supported by high expectations and actively engaged in meaningful and challenging standards-based work, can learn, achieve and succeed.
- We believe that early access to and the acquisition of linguistic proficiency in ASL and English are integral to a deaf or hard of hearing student’s overall development.
- We believe that exposure to and experience with ASL, and the diverse cultures of deaf and hard of hearing people, will enrich the lives of students and their families.
- We believe that informed and involved families are the cornerstone of a student’s success and well-being.
- We believe that an active, cooperative partnership among the student, family, school, and community is essential for student growth and development.
- We believe that academic and afterschool programs should be broad, challenging, and individualized to promote a life-long desire to learn.
- We believe that competence with technology is an integral part of deaf and hard of hearing students’ access to information and communication.
- We believe in an inclusive community, enhanced by the various cultures, experiences, and abilities of its members, that embraces a spirit of learning, mutual caring, and respect.
Profile of Graduates
- Essential Knowledge - Graduates will possess the skills, knowledge and expertise to succeed in work and life in the 21st century.
- Language and Communication - Graduates will demonstrate full linguistic and communicative competence in ASL and English.
- Thinking Skills - Graduates will possess the critical and creative thinking skills and strategies essential for life-long learning.
- Emotional Intelligence- Graduates will demonstrate self awareness, self determination, healthy patterns of behavior, and responsibility towards themselves and others.
- Life Planning - Graduates will implement post-secondary plans that allow them to realize their goals and maximize their potential.