Challenging issues and events occasionally arise on campus and students state they want safe spaces to discuss them. One of these safe spaces might well be your classroom. This workshop, led by Drs. Patricia Foley and Lillie Ransom, Communication Studies, will offer tips and practice opportunities for facilitating these difficult discussions.
Participants in this workshop will practice:
- Setting ground rules for spontaneous discussions
- Serving as a neutral facilitator
- Encouraging and managing emotional expressions
- Encouraging participation by all students
- Weaving together threads of the conversation
- Summarizing the discussion and communicating "next steps"