Does earning either the B.A. in Education degree, or the M.A. in Deaf Education degree, at Gallaudet mean that you are now certified as a teacher in your field - or must you also pass the Praxis tests?

Receiving a diploma from Gallaudet is NOT the same thing as applying for a teaching license from D.C. However, receiving the diploma does indicate that you have fulfilled the first requirement for a D.C. teaching license (assuming yours is one of the Department of Education's DC-approved programs that lead to teaching licensure. An example of one that does NOT is the . M.A. in Deaf Education Special Program. The  M.A. in Early Childhood and Deaf Education, Elementary and Deaf Education, Secondary and Deaf Education or the MA in Deaf Education does qualify, as does the B.A. in Education.) In order to obtain a teaching license from D.C. you must first be recommended as a program completer by the GU Department of Education.  Program recommendation requires satisfactory completion of all courses, program assessments (Teacher Work Sample, Student Teaching Evaluation, etc) and the required Praxis I and II exams.  Once all requirements are complete the Department of Education will recommend you for licensure to the Office of the State Superintendent for Education (OSSE)

Even then, to receive a teaching license based on your program at Gallaudet, you must officially apply for a teaching license, submit test scores, transcripts and criminal background check along with the certification application fee to the OSSE Educator Credentialing Information System.  Please go to the Educator Licensure Office webpage where you will find a link to the online application portal for D.C. licenses.

The steps above are the appropriate procedure if you intend to apply a D.C. license, which the Gallaudet Department of Education recommends for all completers of programs that lead to certification, even if you do not intend to teach in DC.

Suppose I want to teach in another state, and not DC? Why should I get a DC license?

Program completers who plan to teach in another state or jurisdiction and not D.C. will probably be asked to submit proof that they completed a program that was approved by the agency in DC that awards teacher licenses. If you do not already have a DC teaching license, most states will require that you submit an Institutional Verification Form signed by Gallaudet's Certification Officer as evidence that your program was DC-approved. Gallaudet's Certification officer is Dr. Helen Thumann and her office located in the Office of Accreditation, Certification and Licensure in the Office of Academic Quality.

Many states require that you have proof of completing an approved program (like Gallaudet's) before you can receive a teaching license in their state.  If you go to another state without a DC license, that state's requirements for a license in your field may include courses that you have not yet taken. Then it is up to the other state to determine whether or not they will issue you a provisional license and let you go ahead and get a teaching job, or whether they will insist that you first complete the courses that you lack before you can even be hired for a job there. The best way to find out which method is best for you is to ask the other state's teacher certification office directly (because this varies from state to state, and teacher licensure requirements can change in a state from year to year).

Another factor to consider is that other states may either have different cut-off scores for the Praxis tests that are used by DC, or they may require different Praxis II tests in the content area than DC uses, or they may not use the Praxis tests at all (usually because they have developed their own teacher licensure tests). If you are asking the other state's teacher certification office if first obtaining a DC license would make it easier to obtain a license in that state, also ask about the difference in standardized test score requirements.

Where can I find a list of teacher certification offices for the various states?

The University of Kentucky 's teacher education program maintains a web site with links to each state certification agency. You can access this site at the following web address: