CDO's Vlog transcript
Greetings and Happy New Year! My name is Angela McCaskill and I am the newly selected Chief Diversity Officer (CDO).
I'd like to welcome new and returning students, faculty and staff back from the winter recess.
I am really excited about serving you in this capacity. Most importantly I am excited about the role I will play in Gallaudet's commitment to ensuring a diverse and more inclusive environment, equitable educational outcomes for all students, and a climate of social justice and equity for faculty, staff and students. This important work is about ALL of us!
To have an effective diversity program that works requires your involvement. Each of us has a role in it and I welcome your input and collaboration as we embark on this great challenge.
My role as CDO is to:
- Provide leadership to foster and advance a strategic and integrated approach to diversity in all aspects of university life;
- Develop policies and practices to guide the University toward its vision of an inclusive living, learning, and working environment;
- Establish and monitor the implementation of guidelines for the University that ensure equity, inclusion, social justice and diversity;
- Promote a learning community in which all major programs, activities and organizational bodies involve students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds and life experiences;
- Create an inclusive campus climate through focus groups, dialogues, and other research-based initiatives for persons who differ based on their race/ethnicity, religion, gender, abilities, language, sexual orientation, social class, economic strata and other human differences;
- Manage overall planning, budgeting, organizing, and coordinating of diversity activities required to achieve campus-wide diversity goals;
- Establish with input from the community short and long term diversity goals;
- Monitor, assess, and systematically report to the University community progress made toward the achievement of diversity goals.
If you look around Gallaudet, you will see that diversity is no longer tomorrow's vision but today's reality. The members of our community are different. We represent countries and cultures from around the world. We represent different ways of living, thinking, and communicating. Diversity is with us. To reap the benefits of diversity for Gallaudet and for society will require YOUR involvement.
I have developed a plan for my first 100 days in office. The plan can be found on my newly established website: diversity.gallaudet.edu. Please note that the website is under construction. You will be kept abreast as it takes shape. I also welcome any ideas, thought, or suggestions that you have about how we can make Gallaudet a more inclusive and supportive environment. I also invite you to explore the Office for Diversity and Equity for Students' (ODES) website to see what exciting programs and services are available. This website too will be revamped to bring you the most update information about our diversity effort.
Here is the link:
Lastly, I have an open door policy and will soon establish a CDO open house. You can also email me for an appointment. I'd like to meet each of you. Stop by, chat and most importantly, get involved!! I am invigorated about what promises to be a great year!