All bomb threats must be taken seriously. The information the caller gives provides the information we need to evaluate the threat. If your office receives a bomb threat, the recipient of the call should:
- Remain calm. Do not hang up on the caller until all vital information is obtained. Listen and do not interrupt the caller. Respond in a matter-of-fact manner, asking the caller to repeat what he has said to you. Gather as much information as possible. Remember all details of the conversation.
- Contact DPS at x5555 (Voice/Videophone), x5444 (TTY), or page: email@example.com
- Do NOT activate the fire alarm yourself. The decision to activate the alarm will be made by DPS. The DPS shift supervisor will contact the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and University administrators.
- Officers at the bomb threat site will prepare the building for evacuation. They will ensure that someone is positioned at each building entrance to prevent reentry.
- MPD will conduct a building search for the bomb. In the event that MPD is unable to respond to do the search, DPS shift supervisors will organize their own search of the building by security officers.
- No access to the building will be granted until the search has been completed, the suspicious package or device has been removed or deactivated, and MPD or DPS clears the building for reentry.