The services listed below are provided by the Department of Public Safety. To take advantage of these services, please call the department at x5445 (voice), x5444 (TTY), by pager at, or stop by the office located on the ground floor of Carlin Hall.

Safe Walk Service

To assure your safety while walking from one building to another or to your vehicle when it is dark outside, the Department of Public Safety will gladly assign a Public Safety Officer or student assistant to escort you. Security escorts do not go off campus.

Personal Safety Check

If you are working or studying late in an office or study area, a member of the department will stop by and check on you periodically if requested.

Identification Cards

Identification cards are issued by the Department of Public Safety. Your identification card should be carried with you at all times while on campus. ID cards not only assist the department in maintaining security, they also enable you to take advantage of many services and facilities on campus.

Access Cards

The Department of Public Safety is also responsible for issuing and replacing access cards. If you lose your access card, please inform the department immediately.

Operation Identification

The Operation Identification Program is designed to discourage the theft of student possessions while living in the dormitories. Valuables are engraved with an identification number that can be used by the Department of Public Safety or local police in the event of theft or loss. This service is by appointment. For an appointment contact

Bicycle Registration

The Bicycle Registration Program requires you to register your bicycle or moped on campus and receive a license issued by the Department of Public Safety. The license is used to identify you as the owner, and in the event your bicycle is lost or stolen and is later recovered by the Department of Public Safety or the local police department. We highly encourage all bike owners to take a digital photograph of their bike for documentation purposes and assistance in recovery if it is stolen.


If you need a passport like photo for certain licensing, you can have your picture taken at the Department of Public Safety between the hours of 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. There is a $5 fee for this service. DPS is not able to do official passport photos.


The Department of Public Safety will fingerprint students who need this service for a job application. This service is free. This service is by appointment. For an appointment contact

Vehicle Battery Jump

The Department of Public Safety will jump start your battery if you are having a problem. This service is free.

Lost and Found

Items found in the fall semester are kept in DPS until the end of the spring semester. Items found in the spring or summer semester are kept in DPS until the end of the fall semester. After those times, the items are disposed.

About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2016 Gallaudet University