Master of Arts in Deaf Education
You may apply for this program if your Bachelors degree is in education and you are eligible for general education licensure. If not, please contact Dr. Raschelle Theoharis at email@example.com.
Program of Study
To complete the Master of Arts in Education: Teacher Preparation Program and be recommended for a licensure in the District of Columbia, candidates must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of graduate degree requirements.
- Successful completion (grade of B or better) of all academic and practicum requirements specified by the Department of Education.
- Successful completion of all field experiences and student teaching.
- Successful completion of all appropriate Praxis II examinations, and of program performance assessments aligned with courses, field experiences, and student teaching. [Candidates who successfully complete the degree program (i.e., grades of B or better in all coursework) but not the performance assessments may graduate from the program but are not recommended for licensure.]
- American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI) rating of 2+.
GPS 700 Culture and Language Seminar (1)
EDF 731 Home, School, and Community for Diverse Learners (3)
EDU 600 K-12 Curriculum and Instructional Technology (3)*
EDU 641 Literacy Teaching & Learning: Secondary Grades (3)*
EDU 701 Deaf Learners and Education in Bilingual Communities (3)
EDU 707 Structures/Applications of ASL & English in the Classroom (4)
EDU 785 Field Experience I & Seminar (1)
EDU 670 Teaching Students with Disabilities (3)*
EDU 711 Literacy Applications in ASL/English Bilingual Classrooms K-12 (3)
EDU 713 Language Acquisition and Cognitive Development (3)
EDU 719 K-12 Classroom Based Assessment (3)
EDU 789 Field Experience II & Seminar (2)
EDU 750 Perspectives and Educational Implications of Audiology and Spoken English Development in ASL/English Bilingual Education (3)
EDU 665 Children's Literature (3)*
EDF 720 Introduction to Research (3)
EDU 792 Student Teaching Seminar: Deaf Ed (online) (2)
EDU 797 Student Teaching: Deaf Education (7)
Total 38-50 Credits
* These courses are required only if the candidate did not complete them as an undergraduate secondary education major.