Master of Arts in Elementary Education and Deaf Education
Program of Study
Additional Program Admission Requirement
Pass DC requirements for Praxis II Elementary Education Content Knowledge.
To complete the Master of Arts in Education: Teacher Preparation Program and be recommended for dual licensure in the District of Columbia, candidates must satisfy the following requirements:
- Completion of graduate degree requirements.
- Successful completion (grade of B or better) of all academic and practicum requirements specified by the Department of Education.
- Successful completion of all field experiences and student teaching.
- Successful completion of all appropriate Praxis II examinations, and of program performance assessments aligned with courses, field experiences, and student teaching. [Candidates who successfully complete the degree program (i.e., grades of B or better in all coursework) but not the performance assessments may graduate from the program but are not recommended for licensure.]
- American Sign Language Proficiency Interview (ASLPI) rating of 2+.
GPS 700 Culture and Language Seminar (1)
EDU 600 K-12 Curriculum and Instructional Technology (3)
EDU 601 Reading and Writing for Teachers, K-12 (3)
EDU 701 Deaf Learners and Education in Bilingual Communities (3)
EDU 707 Structures/Applications of ASL & English in Classroom (4)
EDU 785 Field Experiences (1)
EDF 731 Home, School, and Community for Diverse Learners (3)
EDU 631 Literacy Teaching/Learning: Elementary Grades (3)
EDU 635 Methods of Teaching Elementary Social Studies (3)
EDU 670 Teaching Students with Disabilities (3)
EDU 713 Language Acquisition and Cognitive Development (3)
EDU 787 Field Experience I & Seminar (1)
EDU 665 Children's Literature (3)
EDU 750 Perspectives and Educational Implications of Audiology and Spoken English Development in ASL/English Bilingual Education (3)
EDF 720 Introduction to Research (3)
EDU 639 Elementary School Teaching Methods in Mathematics (3)
EDU 637 Elementary School Teaching Methods in Science (3)
EDU 711 Literacy Applications in ASL/English Classrooms K-12 (3)
EDU 719 K-12 Classroom Based Assessment (3)
EDU 789 Field Experience II& Seminar (2)
EDU 633 Language Arts in Elementary Education (3)
EDU 638 Student Teaching: Elementary (9)*
EDU 694 Student Teaching Seminar (3)*
EDU 797 Student Teaching: Deaf Education (7)
EDU 792 Student Teaching Seminar: Deaf Education (online) (2)
Total 78 Credits