The Department of English offers the following undergraduate programs:
The Department of English encourages students to grow as life-long readers and writers. The Department provides courses, resources, and expertise for Gallaudet students to develop the English proficiency they need to respond appropriately to a wide range of texts and to perform research and other writing tasks. The Department's interdisciplinary courses challenge our bilingual, diverse, and multicultural students with increasingly sophisticated learning outcomes in language and communication, critical thinking, identity and culture, knowledge and inquiry, and ethics and social responsibility. The Department's major- and minor-level programs prepare students for a broad variety of educational and professional opportunities.
English Department Student Learning Objectives (SLOs)
1. Students will analyze and evaluate academic and/or creative works by considering the associated questions, issues, problems, opinions, facts, outcomes, contexts, solutions, concepts, theories, multiple views of, and the composition of these works.
2. Students will compose logical discussions/arguments/solutions to academic and/or creative issues, questions, or problems, by synthesizing or merging information from sources with their own critical perspectives.
3. Students will revise written work based on teacher, peer, and/or online feedback, derived from the Gallaudet University writing rubric, including feedback on grammar and usage.
4. Students will research effectively using a variety of research strategies and appropriate documentation.
5. Students will analyze, interpret, critique, compare, and evaluate diverse works of literature.
Why should I major in English?
Strong English skills are vital for success in every profession. If you have a solid English background, you'll be able to write effective letters, articles, and reports. The written word is very powerful and can be very persuasive. Poets, novelists, playwrights, screenplay writers, journalists, lawyers, politicians, and every member of the business world use English to get their thoughts across. The ability to use the English language well can determine your future.
Some of the world's greatest minds have created masterpieces in English. Studying American and British literature gives the reader insights into history and cultures of English-speaking countries.
The English Department offers you a major in English with flexibility that allows you to focus in areas such as writing, teaching, or literature. The Department also offers two minors - English and journalism.
Honors in English
The English Department's Honors Major provides an opportunity for students with unusual academic ability and interest in English to devote extensive time and effort to a research project, or in the case of a creative writing specialization, a creative writing project.
The University Honors Program, which is different from the Department's Honors Major, has a specialization in creative writing. To learn more about the University Honors Program, click here.