Kathleen S. Arnos, Ph.D. began her career at Gallaudet in 1983 as a Research Scientist in the Gallaudet Research Institute. In 1996, she became faculty in what is now the Department of Science, Mathematics, & Technology.
Her graduate work in the Department of Human Genetics at the Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, focused on the genetic susceptibility to endocrine disorders in individuals with the congenital Rubella syndrome. Over the past 30 years, she has been the PI or co-PI of multiple externally funded grants in the area of human genetics.
Dr. Arnos teaches courses in research methods and human genetics. She is actively involved in research on hereditary deafness to study common genes causing deafness and the impact of genetic testing on the deaf community.
Dr. Arnos is also Director of the Genetics Program, which provided genetic counseling services to deaf people from 1984 through 2009.
- Diaz-Horta O, Sirmaci A, Doherty D, Nance WE, Arnos KS, Pandya A, Tekin M. (2012). GPSM2 mutations in Chudley-McCullough syndrome. Am J MedGenet. Part A. 158A(11): 2972-3.
- Dodson KM, Georgolios A, Barr N, Nguyen B, Sismanis A, Arnos KS, Norris VW, Chapman D, Nance WE, Pandya A. (2012). Etiology of unilateral hearing loss in a national hereditary deafness repository. Am J Otolaryngol 33(5):590-4.
- Rendtorff ND, Lodahl M, Boulahbel IR, Johansen IR, Pandya A, Welch KO, Norris VW, Arnos KS, Bitner-Blindzicz M, Emery SB, Mets MB, Fagerheim T, Eriksson K, Hansen L, Bruhn H, Moller C, Lindholm S, Ensgard S, Lesperance MM, Tranebjaerg L. (2011). Identification of p.A684V missense mutation in the WFS1 gene as a frequent cause of autosomal dominant optic atrophy and hearing impairment.Am J Med Genet Part A 155:1298-1313.
- Arnos KS & Pandya A (2011).Advances in the Genetics of Deafness. In Marschark M and Spencer PE (Eds).The Oxford Handbook of Deaf Studies, Language, and Education.Vol 1, 2nd Edition.New York:Oxford University Press, pp.412-424.
- Dodson KM, Blanton SH, Welch KO, Norris VW, Nuzzo RL, Wegelin JA, Marin RS, Nance WE, Pandya A, Arnos KS (2011).Vestibular dysfunction in DFNB1 deafness.Am J Med Genet Part A 155:993-1000.
- Blanton SB, Nance WE, Norris VW, Welch KO, Burt A, Pandya A, Arnos KS (2010). Fitness among individuals with early childhood deafness: studies in alumni families from Gallaudet University. Ann Hum Genet 74:27-33.
- Choi BY, Stewart AK, Madeo AC, Pryor SP, Lenhard S, Kittles R, Eisenman D, Kim HJ, Niparko J, Thomsen J, Arnos KS, Nance WE, King KA, Zalewski CK, Brewer CC, Shawker T, Reynolds JC, Butman JA, Karniski LP, Alper SL, Griffith AJ (2009). Hypo-functional SLC26A4 variants associated with nonsyndromic hearing loss and enlargement of the vestibular aqueduct: genotype-phenotype correlation or coincidental polymorphisms?Hum Muta 30(4) 599-608.
- Hilgert N, Huentelman MJ, Thorburn AQ, Fransen E, Dieltjens N, Mueller-Malesinska M, Pollak A, Skorka A, Waligora J, Ploski R, Castorina P, Primignani P, Ambrosetti U, Murgia A, Orzan E, Pandya A, Arnos K, Norris V, Seeman P, Janousek P, Feldmann D, Marlin S, Denoyelle F, Nishimura CJ, Janecke A, Nekahm-Heis D, Martini A, Mennucci E, Tóth T, Sziklai I, Del Castillo I, Moreno F, Petersen MB, Iliadou V, Tekin M, Incesulu A, Nowakowska E, Bal J, Van de Heyning P, Roux AF, Blanchet C, Goizet C, Lancelot G, Fialho G, Caria H, Liu XZ, Xiaomei O, Govaerts P, Grønskov K, Hostmark K, Frei K, Dhooge I, Vlaeminck S, Kunstmann E, Van Laer L, Smith RJ, Van Camp G (2009).Phenotypic variability of patients homozygous for the GJB2 mutation 35delG cannot be explained by the influence of one major modifier gene. Eur J Hum Genet 17(4):517-24.
- Withrow, KA, Tracy, KA, Burton, SK, Norris, VW, Maes, H.H, Arnos, KS, Pandya, A. (2009).Impact of genetic advances and testing for hearing loss:Results from a national consumer survey. Am J Med Genet Part A 149A:1159–1168.
- Withrow, KA, Tracy, KA, Burton, SK, Norris, VW, Maes, H.H, Arnos, KS, Pandya, A. (2009).Provision of Genetic Services for Hearing Loss: Results from a National Survey and Comparison to Insights Obtained from Previous Focus Group Discussions. J Genet Counsel 18(6):618-621.
- Withrow KR, Burton S, Arnos KS, Kalfoglou A, Pandya A (2008).Consumer motivations for pursuing genetic testing and their preferences for the provision of genetic services for hearing loss. J Genet Counsel 17(3):252-260.
- Arnos KS (2008).Ethical and social implications of genetic testing for communication disorders. J Commun Disord41:444-457.
- Arnos KS, Welch KO, Tekin M, Norris VW, Blanton S, Pandya A, Nance WE (2008). A comparative analysis of the genetic epidemiology of deafness in the United States in two sets of pedigrees collected more than a century apart.Am J Hum Genet 83:200-207.