1098-T Tax Information

TRA (Taxpayer Relief Act) Hope Scholarship Credit and Lifelong Learning Credit

Beginning in January 1998, a number of tax breaks became available to help pay for the cost of higher education.

  • HOPE Scholarship Credit
  • Lifetime Learning Credit

Gallaudet University is required to provide the (amounts billed) and (scholarship or grant) figures to help you determine the amount of qualified expenses you can claim on your IRS Form 8863. You will need a review your payment records to determine the actual qualified expenses paid. Remember that qualified amounts paid by student loans may count as payments eligible for these purposes. Scholarships and grants received may reduce your eligible payment amounts. See IRS Publication 970 for information to determine your qualified expenses paid amount. The 1098-T forms will be mailed by January 31, 2017. For additional information, visit the IRS website. The 1098-T forms will not be sent to those students whose eligible fees were waived.

Students do not have to file Form 1098-T or furnish a statement for:

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program;
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student;
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships; and
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity, such as the Department of Veteran's Affairs or the Department of Defense.

Undergraduate or graduate student enrolled in Spring 2016, Summer 2016, or Fall 2016 qualifies for the 1098-T form.  ELI student does not qualify for the 1098-T form.

Per IRS rule, the institution may report either payments received during the calendar year in box 1 or amounts billed during the calendar year in box 2.  Gallaudet University always reports the information in box 2.  

Education Tax Credit Information:

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about 1098-T's from Gallaudet University.
  • IRS web site provides education tax credit information and forms.
  • For additional questions about your eligibility for the TRA97 education tax credits please contact IRS at (800) 829-1040 or consult your tax advisor.

NOTE: Gallaudet University cannot provide you or your tax advisor with tax advice. You need to contact your tax preparer to determine eligibility for the credits and how to calculate them.

If you did not receive a 1098-T due to a change of address, you must update your address through Registrar's Office in order to have a duplicate mailed out. To update your address, you need to complete a Change of Address Form. After you have changed your address, send an email at student.accounts@gallaudet.edu .

About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2016 Gallaudet University