Section 2.22 Use of Information Technology Resources policy in the Gallaudet University Administration and Operations Manual states that access is limited to faculty, teachers, staff, and students (University and Clerc Center) and members of the Board of Trustees. Others may be permitted the use of technology resources and services, if they are available.
Account holders are given a Gallaudet username and password that they use with virtually all systems on campus (e.g., Blackboard Learning, BISON Student and HR system, Help Desk, Wireless Network, campus computers). Users may also use their Gallaudet username and password with selected external sites via a federated authentication system supported by Internet2 Shibboleth and the InCommon Federation. Operational practices for our account management system are online.
- Accounts (Users)
- Creation (new)
- New student, faculty, staff or teacher at Gallaudet University or Clerc Center will be created by automated system called Gallaudet Account Management (GAM) that rely data from structured query results (SQR) from BISON (PeopleSoft) as centralized database of the University.
- Functional accounts can be created per request through HelpDesk with default of one year expiration date which can be extended by request. If the expiration date need to be less than one year, please notify HelpDesk.
- Disable and delete
- Gallaudet Undergraduate and Graduate Students' accounts are immediately disabled by GAM when student(s) is/are not active after one year after their last enrollment (3 terms/semester including summer term/semester) and deleted from Active Directory and Google Apps thirty (30) days after being disabled.
- Gallaudet Faculty, Staff, Clerc Center Staff and Clerc Center Teachers accounts are disabled immediately by GAM based on data from Human Resources or PAF (Personnel Action Form) via emailing to email@example.com for both Gallaudet University and Clerc Center. Accounts are archived for six (6) months and will be deleted from Active Directory and Google Apps at end of six (6) months if no activity.
- Gallaudet Faculty-Adjunct accounts are disabled immediately by GAM based on data from Human Resources. Accounts are archived for one (1) year and will be deleted from Active Directory and Google Apps at end of one (1) year if no activity.
- Functional accounts are disabled at end of expiration date and will be deleted from Active Directory and Google Apps at end of six (6) months if no activity
- When accounts are disabled, all security groups and access controls in the Active Directory are also removed.
- Clerc Center Students and all other user accounts not defined above will be deleted thirty (30) days after being disabled
- Functional accounts that are tied to individual will be disabled and deleted if their individual account is disabled by GAM
- Any accounts with expiration date defined in GAM database will be disabled when account expire
- When account is disabled and last login for email shows "Newly Created" that shows user never logged into email account which will be deleted thirty (30) days after being disabled
- If password expires more than ninety (90) days, the account will be disabled. If no activity in next ninety (90) days since the account was disabled then account will be deleted from Active Directory
- Password Policy
- 180 days password expiration for all accounts by default with some exceptions for restricted access to data that have 90 days password expiration
- 5 attempts before being locked out
- Password Guidelines
- Password must be 8 characters or rmoe
- Do not use all or part of your first or last name as part of the password
- You MUST have at least 1 UPPER CASE letter in the password
- You MUST have at least 1 lower case letter in the password
- You MUST have at least 1 NUMBER in the password
- You MUST have at least 1 SYMBOL in the password