In order to gain admission to the Self-Directed Major program, students need to meet the following requirements:
- Satisfactorily completed GSR 102 or its equivalency
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Provide a copy of your academic transcript
- Complete and submit the required materials for the application
- Complete an interview with the chair of the Self-Directed Major committee.
Any student who meets the requirements may design a Self-Directed Major if no other major or double major is offered at Gallaudet University that satisfies the student's academic interests. The student's process in selecting and justifying the major will follow a series of rigorous steps. Faculty advisors will monitor the academic direction and quality of work and effort with the major. The major will require between 30 and 45 credit hours, of which at least one-half must be from 300- and 400-level courses taken at Gallaudet University. No more than six hours may be independent study. Students who are not approved by the Self-Directed Committee may appeal to the committee chair.