TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION (One position), Department of Interpretation
Department: Department of Interpretation
Job Number: UF-111220150529
Date Posted: 12/20/2011
Status: Accepting applications
DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION
TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
GRADUATE SCHOOL AND PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMS
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
1. Earned a doctorate degree or currently enrolled in a doctorate program in a language-related field required.
2. Demonstrated excellence in teaching American Sign Language / English interpreting.
3. Knowledge and skills in pedagogy and content relevant to interpreting education.
4. Excellent American Sign Language (ASL) skills, including the ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in ASL, at all time of application.
5. Evidence of scholarly activity and service in the field of sign language interpretation and or sign language linguistics.
6. Demonstrated success in obtaining external research funding.
7. Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
8. R.I.D., AVLIC or ASLTA certifications or documented equivalent for international applicants.
1. Teach undergraduate and / or graduate courses.
2. Supervise students; provide academic advising and professional mentoring.
3. Engage in scholarly activities and research and program development in interpretation.
4. Seek and obtain external funding for research in the field of interpretation.
5. Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
6. Other duties as assigned by the chair.
Assistant Professor or higher. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Send a letter of application, curriculum vita, official graduate transcripts, and three letters of reference demonstrating quality of interpreting experience, teaching interpretation and/or American Sign Language, and scholarly activity to:
The Department of Interpretation Search Committee
Attention: Dr. Melanie Metzger
800 Florida Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695