Chronology of Events
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
1889 - The Association was organized on June 27th in Washington, D.C., during the third convention of the National Association of the Deaf "To preserve and increase the influence and prestige of the College; to extend the sphere of its benefits among those for whom it was established; to oppose all influences tending to restrict those benefits; and secondarily, to perpetuate the friendships formed in College, and to promote relations between graduates of different generations." Initiation fees were $1.00 and dues were $.50 annually. John B. Hotchkiss, Class of 1869, chaired the organization meeting and Melville Ballard, Class of 1866, from Maine, the first person to receive an undergraduate degree, was elected the first president.
1890 - The alumni objected to a measure adopted by the Congress which would have restricted free tuition to only certain students. The Association conducted a writing campaign and along with the efforts of the College administration was successful in persuading Congress to repeal the measure.
1895 - The Minnesota Chapter--the first--was established. Chapters were called "branches" in those days.
1896 - The Association went on record advocating the establishment of a technical department within the College. (This was later accomplished, to a degree, with the construction of a science building on the campus.) At this same meeting, the GCAA asked that deaf graduates be admitted to the Normal Department (Graduate School) and asked that the College name be changed to Gallaudet College.
1901 - The Pittsburgh Chapter was established.
1905 - The District of Columbia Chapter was established.
1906 - The Metropolitan (New York) Chapter was established.
1907 - The Michigan Chapter was established. A resolution was passed to admit "Normals" to membership in the Association. The members also adopted a resolution protesting a Civil Service ruling which denied deaf people the right to take the Civil Service examination. President Theodore Roosevelt banned the ruling by Executive Order. At this meeting, the members launched a drive to raise $50,000 for a memorial to the College's first president, Edward Miner Gallaudet.
1908 - The Association was incorporated.
1913 - The Connecticut Chapter was organized by Edward Miner Gallaudet.
1914 - At reunion during the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the College, the Alumni presented the College with a full-length portrait in oil (costing $1,000) and a bust of Edward Miner Gallaudet.
1919 - The Akron (Ohio) Chapter was established.
1927 - The Northern California (NorCal) Chapter was established.
1928 - The Pacific Northwest (Washington) Chapter was established.
1930 - The Chicago (Illinois) Chapter was established.
1939 - The sum of $50,000 was formally presented to the College during the 17th reunion. This amount later grew to over $100,000 and was the nucleus of a fund used to construct the Edward Miner Gallaudet Memorial Library. The Percival Hall Endowment Fund was launched.
1944 - The Greater Los Angeles (California) Chapter was established.
1946 - The Indiana and Kentucky Chapters were established. The first issue of the Gallaudet Alumni Bulletin, a quarterly, was published in Toronto, Canada.
1947 - The Santa Fe (New Mexico), Jacksonville (Illinois), Kaw Valley (Kansas), and Knoxville (Tennessee) Chapters were established.
1948 - The Mohawk Valley (New York) and Robert E. Lee (Virginia) Chapters were established.
1949 - The Tucson (Arizona) Chapter was established. A scroll was presented to the College marking the establishment of the Percival Hall Endowment Fund. This fund was "conceived as a fount for the activities of the Association which, in turn, is dedicated to the preservation of the traditions and promotion of the ideals of Alma Mater." The Association was active in getting the Congress to place Gallaudet employees under the Civil Service Retirement Act.
1950 - The Carolinas (North Carolina), St. Augustine (Florida), and Austin (Texas) Chapters were established.
1951 - Boyce R. Williams, '32, became the first deaf alumni representative to be appointed to the College Board of Directors.
1952 - The Mile High (Colorado) Chapter was established.
1956 - The Wisconsin and West Virginia Chapters were established.
1960 - The Nebowa (Nebraska-Iowa) and Riverside (California) Chapters were established. The first Alumni Office opened on Kendall Green. The GCAA published The Silent Muse, an anthology of prose and poetry by deaf writers.
1961 - This marked the year the GCAA Centennial Fund drive was launched, with a $100,000 goal.
1962 - The Spud (Idaho) Chapter was established. The Alumni Office was moved from the Student Union Building to Dawes House. Concern was expressed over the College's plans to triple the enrollment to 1,600 by 1970. The alumni felt they were not adequately informed of these plans and there was widespread impression that the standards for admission would be lowered. GCAA Board members participated in hearings before the Sub-Committee on Appropriations. This hearing resulted in the selection of an Advisory Committee on the Education of the Deaf to study not only the program at Gallaudet College but also the whole educational program for teaching deaf students. The findings of this Advisory Committee were published in what is better known as the Babbidge Report and resulted in a new look at education of deaf students in this country.
1964 - The Association passed a resolution calling for the joint maintenance of an alumni program on the campus. The GCAA urged the College to provide a program in leadership training. The establishment of regional technical or vocational schools was endorsed to prepare or retrain deaf people for a place in the occupational world. The members urged the College to give credit for courses in manual communication and asked that the College Board of Directors be increased from 13 to 25 members with six of the new member's vacancies to be filled by deaf graduates of Gallaudet College selected by the Association. The Association also requested the College Board of Directors to rescind its restrictive procedures for selection of the alumni representative. The College was urged to appoint a full-time in-service director to provide new faculty members with full training in both oral and manual communication skills and overall psycho-educational implications of the total problem of deafness. The members voted to take over, on a national basis, the Edward Miner Gallaudet Statue Fund Drive which had originated with the D.C. Chapter in 1962.
1966 - The Board of Directors voted to affiliate with the new Council of Organizations Serving the Deaf. The Gallaudet Alumni Newsletter, a monthly, appeared replacing the Bulletin.
1967 - On June 24, the Centennial Fund totaling $520,000 in cash and pledges was officially presented to the College. An agreement was signed between the Association and the College calling for the establishment of three funds: (1) The Graduate Fellowship Fund to assist deaf scholars study for doctorates; (2) The Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund to encourage and promote cultural activities among deaf people; and (3) The Alumni House Fund for the purpose of constructing an alumni house. The Association saluted the establishment of the National Technical Institute for the Deaf with approval and high hopes and saw it as a significant addition to opportunities for deaf persons. The Association also endorsed the establishment of a model high school (for the deaf) under the sponsorship of Gallaudet College. Urged the College to establish a permanent staff and program to research the language of signs with a view to its refinement, standardization and extension. Proposed that the custom of celebrating Charter Day on the first Saturday in April be initiated and perpetuated, celebrating simultaneously the birthdays of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, Edward Miner Gallaudet, and the philanthropy of Amos Kendall and the signing of the College Charter. The By-Laws were revised to open membership in the Association to preparatory students who had attended Gallaudet one full academic year.
1968 - The Genessee Valley (New York) and Louisiana Chapters were established. The first budgeted Alumni Office was set up on the campus and the first full-time executive secretary, Jack R. Gannon, '59, hired. The first Graduate Fellowship Fund awards were given. The editing and printing responsibilities of the Gallaudet Alumni Newsletter were assigned to the new Executive Secretary. Circulation was 4,000. The Alumni Office was moved from the basement of Chapel Hall to Room 117, Hall Memorial Building. As of June 1968, there were 893 Life Members.
1969 - The Down East (Maine), Alabama and Arkansas Chapters were established. The Executive Secretary was named to the President's Cabinet. The Association unveiled the Edward Miner Gallaudet statue and officially presented it to the College. An oil portrait of retiring President Leonard M. Elstad, G-'23, was also presented to the College and $2,000 was donated by individual alumni and friends to Dr. Elstad's International Deaf Educational Assistance Fund (IDEAF). The first Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund awards were given.
1970 - In December, membership hit the 1,000 mark. As of June 1970, there were 1,480 Life Members. It was voted to investigate the election of officers by mail vote and, if agreeable to the membership, develop procedures for conducting mail ballots. Once again, the members requested that the College Board of Directors increase the number of deaf persons serving on the Board. The Association committed itself to promoting total communication throughout the country and abroad and went on record favoring a program of leadership training for deaf adults. The College was asked to place more stress on excellence in teaching and on the ability to communicate well with the students. The College Board was asked to explore ways and means to initiate the financing and actual construction of an alumni house. The Alumni Office was moved to College Hall. The beautification project surrounding the Edward Miner Gallaudet statue was completed bringing the total cost of the memorial to over $36,000.
1971 - The Free State (Maryland) and Montana Chapters were established. Life Membership dues were increased form $10.00 to $25.00. The Board of Directors approved a College proposal to merge the Alumni and Public Relations Offices. The program was expanded to include a youth relations program and a visitors' program and the number of employees increased from two to nine.
1972 - The Jessamine (South Carolina) and Beehive (Utah) Chapters were established. The Association entered into agreement with the College to administer a summer camp for deaf children in New Jersey.
1973 - The Indiana Chapter hosted the 28th Reunion--the first to be held off campus since 1923. The Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund of the GUAA provided the granite base for the small model of the statue of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet/Alice Cogswell statue, given to the College by Kelly Stevens, '20. The first Charter Day program took place on the campus. The GCAA athletic award program was expanded to include women athletes. Membership reached 2,749 in June. The members voted to amend the By-laws to permit the election of officers by national ballot.
1974 - The Georgia Chapter was established on December 10, 1974 and officially sanctioned by the GCAA Board on March 22, 1975. The GCAA published The Gallaudet Almanac, a fact book.
1975 - The report of the GCAA Task Force was approved by the GCAA Board of Directors and published. The Task Force took a thorough look at the Association and recommended three major goals for the upcoming years: (1) greater involvement, (2) better communication, and (3) involvement in fund-raising. The GCAA published Notable Deaf Persons, a collection of nearly 100 biographies of deaf people written by Guilbert C. Braddock, '18.
1976 - The Alberta (Canada), Bay State (Massachusetts), and Mount Rushmore (South Dakota) Chapters were established. The Kentucky Chapter coordinated the first national election for Association officers. The first GCAA/Alexandria-Potomac Lions Club Outstanding Young Alumnus Award was presented to Art Roehrig, '68. Membership in the Association reached 3,000.
1977 - The San Diego (California) Chapter was established.
1978 - The Aloha State (Hawaii) Chapter was established. Mary Anne Pugin, '71, selected Coordinator of Alumni Programs to assist the GUAA Executive Secretary.
1979 - The Valley of the Sun (Arizona) Chapter was established. The GCAA presented Gallaudet College with an oil portrait of the College's fourth president, Dr. Edward C. Merrill, Jr., painted by deaf artist William Sparks. The Metropolitan (NY) Chapter coordinated the second national election.
1980 - The Association sent Gilbert C. Eastman, '57, to France to honor Laurent Clerc, America's first deaf teacher of deaf students, at his birthplace in LaBalme.
1981 - The Metro Detroit (Michigan) and Central North Carolina Chapters were established. The GCAA co-sponsored with the College the Gallaudet Journalism Award which recognized outstanding articles on deafness in the popular presses.
1982 - The Puget Sound Chapter (Washington) was established. The GCAA establishes the
GCAA President's Award to recognize individuals who have made significant contributions to the association since the last reunion. The Riverside Chapter coordinates the third national election. The Association officially dedicates "Ole Jim" as its long-awaited Alumni House.
1983 - The Greater New Orleans Area (Louisiana) and Big Spring (Texas) Chapters were established. The GCAA persuades the U.S. Postal Service to issue a stamp in honor of the Rev. Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet. The Association becomes one of the first national organizations in the U.S. to join the World Federation of the Deaf and co-sponsors Yerker Andersson's ('60) campaign as president of the World Federation of the Deaf. Membership reaches 4,000.
1984 - The Mississippi Chapter was established. The GCAA published and distributed to schools for deaf students a 55-page collection of Gallaudet Day program materials honoring Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, one of the founders of education of the deaf in America, compiled by Celia May Baldwin, '70.
1985 - The Aurora (Alaska) Chapter was established. The Kaw Valley (KS) Chapter coordinated the fourth national election. The Association sent GCAA President Gerald "Bummy" Burstein, '50 to France to participate in the 200th anniversary of Laurent Clerc's birth. The GCAA dedicated a garden at the Cosmos Club in Washington, D.C. in honor of Edward Miner Gallaudet, one of the founders and the fifth president of the club, and the College's first president. The Association deposited $1000 in the newly established National Association of the Deaf Credit Union.
1986 - The Metro Atlanta (Georgia) Chapter was established. Gallaudet College became Gallaudet University and the Association changed its name to Gallaudet University Alumni Association. The GUAA published and distributed The Basics of Parliamentary Procedure written especially for deaf students by President Burstein, a registered and certified national parliamentarian, who has conducted over a hundred workshops on the subject throughout the USA. By 1994, it had been printed 6 times.
1987 - The Dallas/Fort Worth (Texas) Chapter was established. The organization presented a copy of the Laurent Clerc bust to Gallaudet University to honor America's first deaf teacher of deaf students. The Gallaudet Alumni Newsletter began appearing in braille for deaf and blind alumni. The GUAA contributed to the restoration project of the plaster model of the Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet/Alice Cogswell statue at the University of Illinois.
1988 - The PenJerDel (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware) Chapter was established. The Association became the first national organization to make cash contribution in support of the Deaf President Now movement. The GUAA established the Leonard M. Elstad, G-'23 Endowment Fund, in honor of the University's third president.
1989 - The Greater Sacramento Valley (California) Chapter was established. The Indiana Chapter coordinated the fifth national election. The membership observed the Association's centennial and the University's 125th anniversary. The Association presented Gallaudet with an oil portrait of Gallaudet's sixth president, Dr. Jerry C. Lee, painted by deaf artist William Sparks, and picture portraits of Gallaudet's fifth and seventh presidents, Dr. Lloyd Johns and Dr. Elisabeth Zinser. The GUAA presented Dr. David Peikoff, '29 the GUAA Century Award and prepared for burial a time capsule of GUAA records and mementos to be opened in 2039. Jack R. Gannon, '59 resigned as Executive Secretary to become Special Assistant to the President for Advocacy. Mary Anne Pugin, '71 was appointed by the GUAA Board to become Executive Secretary. Life membership hit the 5,000 mark.
1990 - The Ocean State (Rhode Island) Chapter was established. The GUAA published the first Gallaudet University Alumni Directory through the Harris Publishing Co., Inc. A special booklet was developed to provide more comprehensive information about the GUAA and its three major Funds, the Graduate Fellowship Fund, the Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund, and the Alumni House Fund.
1991 - The First-in-Flight (North Carolina) and San Antonio (Texas) Chapters were established. A task force was established -- The GUAA National Election Task Force -- to review the GUAA's election procedure and to submit recommendations for revisions. Task Force members were Marvin J. Marshall, '47 (Indiana Chapter), Kenneth S. Rothschild, '68 (Metropolitan Chapter of the NYC (area) and Mary Anne Pugin, '71, Executive Secretary. The GUAA offered the first official Seiko Gallaudet University Watch through Diamond-Brostrom, Inc.
1992 - The Mohawk Valley Chapter (Rome, New York) coordinated the sixth national election. The GUAA sponsored its 34th Triennial Reunion on July 15-19. The Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund Committee presented the University with an oil portrait of Gallaudet's eighth president, Dr. I. King Jordan, '70, painted by deaf artist William B. Sparks. The GUAA presented its first Pauline "Polly" Peikoff, E-'36, Service to Others Award to Sarah Stiffler Val, '67 and a special citation in recognition and honor of Dr. George Detmold, former dean of Gallaudet University. An agreement, approved by the Gallaudet Board of Trustees, transferring full responsibility for the Centennial Fund to the GUAA, was signed by Gallaudet President I. King Jordan, Gallaudet Board of Trustees Chair, Phil Bravin, '66, GUAA President, Gerald "Bummy" Burstein, '50, and GUAA Executive Secretary, Mary Anne Pugin, '71. The membership approved several amendments to the Bylaws, most notably (1) an increase of Board Members from three to four with each member representing one of four regions in the continental United States, including corresponding regions in Canada, and (2) a service limitation of two consecutive terms in the same office for elected officers except the treasurer. The membership also approved a revision in the "Procedures for Nominating and Electing Gallaudet University Alumni Association Officers and Board Members" to permit GUAA Active Life Members to nominate themselves or other Active Life Members to positions on the GUAA Board of Directors. Donna Drake, '69, became the first alumnae to be elected president of the GUAA. At its Fall meeting, the GUAA Board approved the establishment of the GUAA 2000 Task Force, to review the future direction of the Association.
1993 - The Nippon Chapter in Japan was established as the GUAA's 64th and first foreign overseas chapter. The GUAA 2000 Task Force met in August 1993 in "Ole Jim. The Task Force recommended five goals/priorities: (1) Enhance Communication with Gallaudet University Alumni; (2) Instill in Alumni a Sense of Ownership in the University; (3) Maintain a Partnership with Gallaudet University; (4) Embrace Diversity; and (5) Utilize Alumni Resources. At its Spring meeting, the Board sent a letter to Gallaudet President Jordan, requesting that the University publicly recognize American Sign Language (ASL) as a language. The Executive Secretary represented Gallaudet University and the GUAA at the 25th Anniversary Reunion of the National Technical Institute of the Deaf in Rochester, New York and presented a GUAA resolution to NTID commending and congratulating the alumni of NTID on its 25th anniversary and on the official establishment of the NTID Alumni Association
1994 - The New Jersey Chapter was established. The Board supported the recommendation to cease publication of the 28-year-old GAN and merge its Mileposts and Chapter Exchange columns in the Gallaudet Today quarterly publication, beginning in Fall 1994. The merger will also feature Class Notes and Alumni Profiles in the GT publication. The Alumni Relations Office became a unit of the Division of Institutional Advancement and the Executive Secretary became Director of Alumni Relations and Executive Director of the GUAA.
1995 - The Metropolitan Chapter in New York, for the second time in its history, served as the Screening Committee for the seventh national election. The Minnesota Chapter observed its centennial with a banquet at the Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf in Faribault. The GUAA published its second Gallaudet University Alumni Directory. For the first time in its history, the GUAA hosted its 35th Triennial Reunion during the October Homecoming week instead of during the summer. At the Reunion Banquet, the GUAA paid tribute to the late Dr. David ('29) and Pauline Nathanson Peikoff (E-'36) with an unveiling of a portrait -- a montage of the Peikoffs -- to be hung in "Ole Jim". The GUAA membership hit 6,000. Dr. Edward Clifton Merrill, Jr., fourth president of Gallaudet College (1969-83) died on January 27. Dr. David Peikoff, '29, GCAA president (1954-61), chairman of the Centennial Fund Drive (1961-64), and one of Gallaudet's most distinguished alumni, died on January 28 at the age of 94. In honor of Dr. Peikoff, and his wife, Polly (E-'36), the Gallaudet Board of Trustees named the University's alumni house ("Ole Jim") the Peikoff Alumni House.
1996 - At its October meeting, the GUAA Board commended Treasurer Donald O. Peterson, G-'53 on his retirement from Gallaudet University after 44 years as a faculty member with the Chemistry Department. The Kentucky Chapter celebrated its 50th anniversary during its 24th annual Gallaudet-Clerc Banquet on Dec. 12. The GUAA Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund donated a granite marker, situated at the west end of Chapel Hall, to mark the site of the Rose Cottage, known as the "Cradle of Gallaudet." The Rose Cottage was part of Amos Kendall's estate and served as Gallaudet's first building until the east wing of College Hall was constructed. The Alumni Relations Office created the Gallaudet Alumni Homepage which became one of GUAA's communication vehicles with the alumni. The GUAA Board formally supported the implementation of the Gallaudet Alumni Ambassador and Gallaudet Alumni Trailblazer programs. Both programs were established to solicit alumni volunteers in supporting the University's recruitment, advocacy, and philanthropic efforts. GUAA President, Donna Drake, '69, is invited to represent the alumni and read remarks at the University's commencement. Two new funds are designated within the GUAA Graduate Fellowship Fund: the Regina Olson Hughes, '18 Fellowship and the Waldo T., '49 and Jean Kelsch, '51, Cordano Fellowship
1997 - The GUAA sent letters to President I. King Jordan, '70: a.) encouraging Gallaudet to implement a leadership training program for deaf people to replace the one that had been terminated at California State University, Northridge; b.) expressing the GUAA's interest in maintaining a partnership and open dialogue with the Gallaudet Board of Trustees through representation of GUAA-recommended alumni on the Board of Trustees. At the Charter Day Banquet and Awards Program, the GUAA presented Executive Director Mary Anne Pugin, '71 with a GUAA embossed "director's chair" in recognition of her 25 years of service to Gallaudet University and her 19 years with the Alumni Relations Office. The GUAA Board acknowledged and endorsed the establishment of the Gerald "Bummy" Burstein, '50, Endowment Fund and the Charles R. Ely, G-1892/Donald A. Padden, 1945, Athletic Endowment Fund. The GUAA Board endorsed the implementation of the $30 million Gallaudet Capital Campaign. Through joint collaboration with Gallaudet University, the Nippon Chapter in Japan celebrated Gallaudet Day with a video conference between Gallaudet and the Japanese deaf community.
1998 - In observance of the 10th anniversary of the Deaf President Now movement, the GUAA celebrated Charter Day with a luncheon and awards program in March at the Gallaudet University Kellogg Conference Center. The Master of Ceremonies was Phil Bravin, '66, who became the first deaf Chair of the Gallaudet University Board of Trustees following the 1988 DPN Movement. The San Diego Chapter GUAA Election Screening Committee conducted the eighth GUAA Election. Alumni Life Members of the GUAA approved, by mail ballot, several amendments to the GUAA Bylaws, one of which officially terminated the triennial GUAA Membership Meeting, effective after the 36th Triennial Reunion. The GUAA sponsored its 36th Triennial Reunion during the Homecoming weekend. At the Reunion Membership Meeting, alumni Life Members approved 11 resolutions, one of which endorsed the concept of an intensive Masters Degree Leadership Training Program at Gallaudet University.
1999 - With the University's $30 million "Unite for Gallaudet" Capital Campaign now in the active phase, the Board increased involvement and support in the campaign. In addition to contributing 100% to the campaign, the entire Board participated in campaign training sessions. Through agreement with the University, Dr. Gerald "Bummy" Burstein, '50, GUAA President, and Dr. Bernard Bragg, '52, made bequests of $1 million each to establish "The Bummy Chair: The Gerald "Bummy" Burstein, '50 Endowed Chair in Leadership" and "The Bernard Bragg, '52 Endowed Chair: Deaf People in the Theater Arts." A new fund, the Alpha Sigma Pi Fraternity Fellowship, became the 11th designated fund within the GUAA Graduate Fellowship Fund (GFF). The Board approved a request from the GUAA Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund (LCCF) Committee to change the name of the "LCCF Book Fund" to the "LCCF Publication and Production Fund." The Board agreed to increase GUAA life membership fees to $75 ($50 for students), effective on October 15, 2000. The Board approved the establishment of the GUAA Community Support Fund. Following a survey, the GUAA chapter directory was updated to list 31 Active and 34 Liaison Chapters. The Chapter Handbook was revised and updated and sent to the Active Chapters. With the involvement of Gallaudet's Art Department, the LCCF Committee implemented a limited edition of 500 Gallaudet afghans. Designed by Gallaudet student, Young Mi Moreau, the afghans feature images of Gallaudet's historic campus ("Ole Jim," College Hall, Chapel Hall, Fowler Hall, and the Thomas H. Gallaudet/Alice Cogswell statue). Funds from the sale of the afghans will be used to install descriptive plaques on the houses along Faculty Row - the President's Residence, Ballard, Fay, and Denison Houses.
2000 - Alumni Life Members of the GUAA approved, by mail ballot, an amendment to the GUAA Bylaws creating a Board appointed GUAA Election Screening Committee. The nine-member triennial committee, which will meet for the first time in April 2001, will be responsible for determining the final slate of Board candidates for the upcoming mail ballot. The Board selected the GUAA Minnesota Chapter to serve as the Election Committee for the GUAA 2001 Election. The Board approved a new policy restricting the release of alumni addresses for University purposes only.
2001 - The GUAA donated $10,000, from the Charles R. Ely, G-1892/Donald A. Padden, '45, Athletic Endowment Fund, towards the cost of a new wood floor in the Field House. The GUAA donated $5,000 for the publication of the "History Through Deaf Eyes" brochure. The GUAA granted honorary life memberships and sent donations to Gallaudet University in memory of freshmen students, Eric Plunkett and Benjamin Varner, who were murdered on campus in September 2000 and February 2001 respectively. The Minnesota Chapter GUAA Election Committee conducted the ninth GUAA Election. The GUAA Election Screening Committee met for the first time in April in the Peikoff Alumni House for the purpose of screening Board nominees and finalizing the slate to two candidates for each office (except Treasurer). In place of the Triennial Reunion (the last one being in 1998), the GUAA sponsored a GUAA/Homecoming Weekend celebration. Activities included anniversary class reunions and a Recognition Luncheon, held in the Gallaudet University Kellogg Conference Center. The GUAA published its third edition of the Gallaudet University Alumni Directory, which also included a CD-ROM version. Mary Anne Pugin, '71, director of alumni relations and GUAA executive director, announced her intent to resign from the Alumni Relations Office in October 2002. Effective in November , she transferred to the Deaf Way II offices to assist with planning for the July 8-13, 2002 Deaf Way II Conference. Astrid Amann Goodstein, '65, executive director of enrollment services, accepted responsibility to oversee alumni relations and GUAA programs on an interim basis and to chair a search process for Pugin's replacement.
2002 - GUAA President Andrew Lange, '83 was invited to speak at the Gallaudet Board of Trustees Luncheon on February 8th and his topic was "What a Gallaudet Education Means to Me?" Gallaudet Alumni E-newsletter, an electronic newsletter for alumni and friends, was launched on February 17, 2002 with team efforts from the Office of Alumni Relations and the Public Relations Office with a goal to reach out to alumni and friends with news about Gallaudet that is both timely and interesting between the publication of Gallaudet Today the magazine and newsletter. E-newsletter has become one of ways for the GUAA to reach the alumni. Sam Sonnenstrahl, '79 & G-'84 was appointed as director of alumni relations and executive director of GUAA. In July, 2002, GUAA President, Andrew Lange, '83 was a part of the Deaf Way II Opening Celebrating program welcoming 9,000 registrants. The GUAA Board endorsed Gallaudet Club concept. The Gallaudet Club is an event that the GUAA chapters and the Home Office occasionally co-host. It is an informal gathering and provides a great opportunity for local alumni to catch-up with one another and learn what is happening at Gallaudet
2003 - Pauline "Polly" Nathanson Peikoff, E-'36 passed away on May 15th. A memorial service was held on September 17 in honor of her 90th birthday. GUAA Board authorized the use of the Alumni House Maintenance Fund to renovate the aged Peikoff Alumni. The Graduate Fellowship Fund, David Peikoff, '29 Fellowship Fund, is renamed to David, '29, and Pauline "Polly", E-'36, Peikoff Fellowship Fund. The GUAA received a bequest of $7,198.53 from the estate of the late Joseph G. Memeza, a Gallaudet University Honorary Degree recipient from Canada.
2004 - Gallaudet Club events were well attended at the annual Gallaudet Academic Bowl regional competitions. In observance of Gallaudet University's 140th Anniversary, the Laurent Clerc Cultural Fund Committee made a formal presentation of replicas of the Gallaudet Charters to the University in a ceremony in the Student Academic Center on April 16th. The 35th annual Charter Day luncheon and awards program was held in the historic Chapel Hall on April 17th. The second Election Screening Committee met to decide the final slate of 2004-2007 GUAA Board of Directors following Charter Day festivities. The Free State (MD) Chapter GUAA Election Committee conducted the tenth GUAA Election. Two big homecoming commemorative activities took place on October 22. The Gallaudet Alumni Emeriti Club had its inaugural induction ceremony in Chapel Hall with forty alumni form classes between 1944 and 1954, were the first inductees. They were honored with medallions for their years of service, loyalty, and support as alumni members for 50 or more years. The Andrew J. Foster Auditorium was named in honor of Andrew, '54, the first Africa American Gallaudet graduate at a dedication ceremony on October 22nd. The GUAA Board arranged financial assistance to alumni including chapters in preparation for alumni-related events every calendar year. Chapter may apply for reimbursement up to $100 and liaison/other alumni groups may request up to $50.
2005 - Gallaudet University allocated $500,000 for the renovation of the Peikoff Alumni House. With $1.2 million from the Alumni House Maintenance Fund, the goal of $1.7 million is reached and the project has officially begun.