Maryland State School for the Deaf
Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
Gallaudet University Archives
Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 104
Title: Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 5.
Processed by: Thomas Strunk. 2000 October 24.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.
Related Material in the Archives:
- Fifteenth quadrennial reunion : June 9, 10, 11 1950 / Alumni Association of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
- Commencement exercises : Maryland State School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland, May 31, 1945. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
- Basketball schedule : 1908-1932 / compiled by Norman Rothman (a student of the school) Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
- Deaf Schools in Different States [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 62-8
- Biennial report of the Maryland State School for the Deaf. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: School Reports
- Scrapbook of clippings on Deaf and Blind, and the State schools between 1832 and 1865. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Scrapbook Album AL 1
The State Legislature formed the Maryland State School for the Deaf on September 25, 1868 in Frederick. Original buildings of this school were the Hessian Barracks for 7 years, while the new buildings were being built. Ground was broken for the new building on August 29, 1870 and completed on September 8, 1875. William D. Cooke served as the first principal of this school. The first student enrolled was Mary M. Ijams. Thirty-four students attended the first class on first day, many of them in barefoot. George W. Veditz was one of the most prominent graduates of this school, and he became teacher after graduating from Gallaudet College. The school removed ‘State' from its name in 1956.
Scope and Content
This collection is composed primarily of progress books/curriculum made by teachers of the school and workbooks that students of this school worked on. The progress books/curriculum made by teachers includes the methods of teaching different academic subjects and goals of speech and speech reading training. Teachers made curriculum plans for every month of the school year.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
| Box || Folder || Title of Folder || Date
||Teacher’s Progress Book
||Teacher’s Progress Book