Record Group 2
Alumni Office, Gallaudet University
Yesteryear at Gallaudet, 1963-1969

Gallaudet University Archives

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: Record Group 2
Title: Yesteryear at Gallaudet,1963-1969
Quantity: 0.5 linear foot (1 document box)
Abstract: This collection consists of correspondence and manuscripts for a book that was tentatively titled, "Yesteryear at Gallaudet".

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information: The collection was transferred to the Gallaudet University Archives from the Office of Alumni, Gallaudet University on May 26, 1993.
Processed by: Michael J. Olson, 2009 July 31.
Processing Note:
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.

Related Material in the Archives


Historical Sketch

The first Alumni Office was opened on the campus in 1960 and the office was located in the Student Union Building. In 1962, the Alumni Office was moved to Dawes House. David Peikoff was the first director of the Alumni Affairs of the Alumni Office that was financed jointly by the Gallaudet College Alumni Association and Gallaudet College. In 1968, the Alumni Office was operated with the University's budget and Jack R. Gannon, a member of the Class of 1959, was hired as the first full-time executive secretary and Director of Alumni Relations. That same year, the office was moved from the basement of Chapel Hall to Room 117 in Hall Memorial Building. The office again was moved to College Hall in 1970. In 1971, the Alumni and Public Relations offices became merged and the number of employees increased from two to nine. New visitors and a youth relations programs were added. At that time it was relocated to Chapel Hall. In 1982, the Office of the Alumni and Public Relations moved into a newly renovated Peikoff Alumni House, known as Ole Jim.

The name changed to the Office of Alumni Relations and serves as a liaison between the alumni and the University. The University uses alumni data for reports, surveys, and accreditation. The strength and dedication of alumni to the University has been ranked one of the top reasons students come to Gallaudet.

The office is also responsible for communication with alumni and works with the Office of Public Relations in the preparation of several alumni publications and a monthly newsletter that runs through email distribution.

Scope and Content

The unpublished manuscript, Yesteryear at Gallaudet, consists of one document box for a total of .05 linear feet and approximately 800 pages. The materials within the collection range from 1963 to 1969 with the majority of content from 1963 to 1964.

The bulk of the collection is unpublished manuscripts and correspondence related to the history of Gallaudet University. The tentative title of the book was Yesteryear at Gallaudet. The Alumni Office was the instrumental in involving the compilation of articles of amusing or historical interest written by different authors during different eras and centering on Gallaudet University. That project was the dream of Roy J. Stewart, Class of 1899, and Howard T. Hofsteater, Class of 1930. They wrote much of historical articles, along with other deaf authors and reviewers, related to Gallaudet University. Unfortunately, they did not lived to see the completion of the project. The Alumni Office took over the project, but the book was never materialized.

Folder Lists

Box Folder Title of folder Date
01 01 Yesteryear at Gallaudet 1963
01 02 Correspondence related to Yesteryear at Gallaudet 1963-1969
01 03 YAG - MSS - Proposed Table of Contents 1968
01 04 YAG - MSS - Introduction & Acknowledgements n.d.
01 05 YAG - MSS - Chapter 1 - The Campus 1963
01 06 YAG - MSS - Chapter 2 - Edward Miner Gallaudet 1963
01 07 YAG - MSS - Chapter 3 - The Faculty 1963
01 08 YAG - MSS - Chapter 4 - Campus Employees n.d.
01 09 YAG - MSS - Chapter 5 - Sports & Organizations 1963
01 10 YAG - MSS - Chapter 6 - Student Pranks n.d.
01 11 YAG - MSS - Chapter 7 - Student Camping n.d.
01 12 YAG - MSS - Chapter 8 - Alumni n.d.
01 13 YAG - MSS - The Saga of the "Florida Belle" n.d.
01 14 YAG - MSS - Miscellany 1964-1968
01 15 YAG - MSS - Concluding Materials n.d.
01 16 A Tribute of Affection and Esteem to "Diamond" n.d.
01 17 Among the Palms and Poinsettias n.d.
01 18 Amos Kendall, our Forgotten Friend n.d.
01 19 Charles Clifford Griffin 1964
01 20 Glancing Backward by Roy J. Stewart n.d.
01 21 Henry C. White by William H. Wherry 1964
01 22 Kendall Green's First Baseball Team n.d.
01 23 Melville Ballard n.d.
01 24 Old Time Tales by Theodore C. Mueller n.d.
01 25 The Great Fire of 1910 n.d.
01 26 The Saga of the "Florida Belle" n.d.
01 27 To Washington or Bust by Byron B. Burnes n.d.


About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2016 Gallaudet University