Manuscripts

MSS 78
St. Ann's Church for the Deaf, est. 1852
Collection of the St. Ann's Church for the Deaf, 1853-1984


Gallaudet University Archives


Descriptive Summary

Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 78
Creator:
Title: Collection of the St. Ann's Church for the Deaf, 1853-1984
Quantity: 2.5 Linear Feet (5 document boxes)
Abstract:
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 9.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information: St. Ann's Church for the Deaf papers were donated to the Gallaudet University Archives by Henry L. Buzzard.
Processed by: Kevin D. Corbitt. 1989 August 11.
Processing Note: Revised by Margaret A. Steedman, 1998 May 29.
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.

Related Material in the Archives:
See ALADIN
 

Deaf Rare

  • Statements respecting St. Ann's Church for Deaf-Mutes presented at a public meeting in the large chapel of the the University, Wednesday evening, November 16, 1853, together with an abstract of the Proceedings of a meeting held by deaf-mutes, Thursday eve. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
  • Proceedings of a meeting in relation to St. Ann's Church for Deaf-Mutes. Wednesday, May 19, 1858. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare

Manuscripts

  • Papers, Rev. Otto B. Berg, 1909-1995. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 115
  • Collection / The Church Mission to Deaf-Mutes, 1921-1988. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 120
  • Papers, Henry L. Buzzard, 1951-1993. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: MSS 67

SMSS

  • Rev. John Chamberlain Collection, 1875-1890. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
  • Papers, Nadia Bolz-Weber, 2004-2005. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS
  • Papers, Edwin Allan Hodgson, 1909. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: SMSS

Vertical Files

  • St. Ann's Church for the Deaf. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Subject

Historical Sketch

In 1852, Thomas Gallaudet, the son of Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and elder brother of Edward Miner Gallaudet, establishes St. Ann's Church for the Deaf in the chapel of New York University on the first Sunday in October. From 1852-1902, for fifty years, Thomas Gallaudet serves as vicar of St. Ann's. During September of 1854, St. Ann's is legally incorporated and five years late, in July of 1859, St. Ann's moves into its own building. In 1872, Thomas Gallaudet organizes "The Church Mission to Deaf Mutes". In 1876, the first home for aged and inform deaf people was established in New York City. This home was named the Gallaudet Home and was moved to a new property along the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie, NY in 1887.

In 1895, the original church building was sold and services were held at St. John the Evangelist church. St. Ann's Church for the Deaf merges with St. Matthew's Church in 1897 amid acrimonious debate; St. Matthew's assumes responsibility for St. Ann's. Within a year, a new church building was consecrated by Bishop Potter on December 26, 1898.

The Gallaudet Home burned down in 1900 and two years later, in 1902, on August 27, the founder of St. Ann's, Thomas Gallaudet, dies. The new vicar is John Chamberlain and he serves from 1902-1921. During his term, the rebuilding of the Gallaudet Home takes place in 1903. St. Ann's Guild House was dedicated on December 12, 1912. In 1921, John Chamberlain dies and John H. Kent takes over as vicar until the late 1920s. In the late 1920s, Guilbert C. Braddock becomes vicar and serves until the mid 1940s. his tenure saw controversy flare about the relationship of St. Ann's and St. Matthew's. Edwin Nies serves St. Ann's prior to his ordination as a clergyman, and in 1948, sees the ties severed between St. Ann's and St. Matthew's. The building was sold and services were held at St. Mark's in the Bouwerie church from 1949-1960. Edwin Nies completes his tenure as vicar in 1964. Services were held at St. Michael's church from 1960-1963, then at All Angel's Church from 1963-1966. In 1964, Eric J. Whiting takes over as vicar and serves until 1970, when Jay Croft takes over for six years until 1976. Columba Gilliss serves as vicar from 1976-1984 and turns the reins over to Steven Hagar.

Scope and Content

The St. Ann's Church for the Deaf collection consist largely of printed religious matter, the records of church organizations, correspondence to and from various vicars, and a number of clippings from various sources related to the deaf.

The collection which consists of approximately 1500 items, dates from 1853-1984. The bulk of the collection consists of materials related to St. Ann's. This includes materials printed by St. Ann's, articles about St. Ann's, and correspondence from several vicars. Vicars whose correspondence is included in the papers are: Thomas Gallaudet, John Chamberlain, john H. Kent, and Guilbert C. Braddock. Generally the letters written and received by the vicars reflect the mission work of St. Ann's. Most prevalent is correspondence concerning the Gallaudet home. Parish organizations left a considerable printed and manuscript records. These include report books, expenditure and statements, printed material such as by-laws and invitations, and letters received by the organizations.

Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
No Series

 
Box Folder Title of Folder Date
1 1 By-Laws and Related material       1929-1936
1 2 Special Liturgies; 25th Anniversary Sermon, Prayer for the Parish  1877-1966
1 3 Statements Respecting St. Ann's Church for Deaf Mutes  1853
1 4 St. Ann's History 1854-1952
1 5 St. Ann's-St. Matthew's Controversy, Correspondence 1937-1944
1 6 St. Ann's-St. Matthew's Controversy, photostats of incorporations and newspaper articles 1854-1922
1 7 Report of Rev. Guilbert C. Braddock; memberships lists 1888-1945
1 8 Inventory of Objects (2 copies)      n.d.
1 9 Financial Papers and Statements 1904-1970
1 10 Diocesan correspondence and Circulars     1921-1932
1 11 Letters from parents and guardians of children to be confirmed: cards with confirmation or baptismal information 1931-1943 
1 12 Correspondence to and from John E. Hasler  1927
1 13 Miscellaneous Correspondence   1922-1984
1 14 Articles about the church and vicar's who served the parish   1897-1977
1 15 Building Fund; Men's Club (Miscellaneous manuscript and printed materials) 1920-1979
1 16 St. Ann's Choir, Script for "We, the People" (National Broadcasting Company Script #N-419) 1950
2 1 Virginia Butler Gallaudet Association, Address Book, Secretary's Report Book, Correspondence, Circulars, Banners 1918-1948
2 2 Woman's Parish Aid Society, Letters 1931-1947
2 3 Woman's Parish Aid Society, President's Book, By-Laws, Reports, Circulars 1941-1945
2 4 Anniversary Celebrations, Programs and Cards 1912-1977
2 5 Annual Meetings   1964-1969
2 6 Dedication Programs, Virginia Butler Gallaudet Memorial Reredos and New Church and Center     1935-1966
2 7 Newsletter    1919-1982
2 8 Printed Event Announcements; Printed Social Calendars 1914-1966
2 9 Printed Orders of Service  1921-1960
2 10 St. Ann's Publications   1913-1938
2 11 Gallaudet, Rev. Thomas: Correspondence, Photographs of Rev. Gallaudet, 25th Anniversary Sermon 1877
3 1 Gallaudet, Rev. Thomas: Record of Marriages, Baptisms and Funeral Services Performed by Rev. Gallaudet 1850-1902
3 2 Gallaudet, Rev. Thomas: Printed Pamphlets about Rev. Thomas Gallaudet, manuscript Memorial from Church Mission to Deaf-Mutes 1895-1909
3 3 Correspondence to and from Rev. John Chamberlain 1901-1913
3 4 Correspondence to and from Rev. John H. Kent     1924-1929
3 5 Correspondence to and from Rev. Guilbert C. Braddock  1924-1944
3 6 Articles on Deaf People and Deafness: Religion 1914-1979
3 7 Church Mission to Deaf-Mutes: Constitution and By-Laws, Correspondence, Reports, Printed Material 1888-1985
3 8 Church Work for the Deaf: Various Printed Reports 1881-1919
3 9 Diocesan Bulletin: The Bulletin       1931-1961
4 1 Episcopal Conference of the Deaf: Conference Materials, Correspondence, paper on Evangelism 1975-1980
4 2 Gallaudet Home (New York): Admissions and Residents   1923-1960
4 3 Gallaudet Home (New York): Bills, Financial Appeals, Proposed Sale 1890-1954
4 4 Gallaudet Home (New York): Gallaudet Home News   1948-1964
4 5 Gallaudet Home (New York): Miscellaneous Correspondence and Printed Material 1888-1982
4 6 Orders of Service: Various Churches; A Plea for an Institutional Church for the Deaf in Chicago: All Soul's Church...Fiftieth Year 1912-1945
4 7 St. Mark's-in-the-Bouwerie: Various Printed Memorabilia 1951-1958
4 8 Silent Churchman: The Silent Missionary: The Deaf Churchman: The Deaf Episcopalian 1906-1979
4 9 Various Missions   1922-1927
4 10 Various printed Religious Materials: General  n.d.
5 1 Application: New York Institution for Deaf and Dumb 1873
5 2 Conference of Deaf Instructors: Paper and Proposed Agenda   n.d.
5 3 Gallaudet Day: New York Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, Report 1904-1946
5 4 Information Kit, "Christian Education and Hearing Impaired Children;" Printed Materials on Deaf Education 1966-1975
5 5 Articles on Deaf People and Deafness: General  1912-1977
5 6 Publications by English Deaf Benevolent Organizations 1921-1934
5 7 Publications by American Deaf Organizations 1951-1974
5 8 Silent Worker: Clippings 1921-1929
5 9 Anniversary programs: Various Deaf-Related Organizations 1937-1960
5 10 Unidentified Manuscript Fragments n.d.

 

About Gallaudet
Administration
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Communications and Public Relations
Contact Us
Diversity
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
GU Press
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Mission & Goals
Sustainability
Visitors Center
Admissions
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Global Education and Scholar Services
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Undergraduate Majors and Programs
Graduate Programs
Professional Studies
Career Center
Academic Catalog & Course Info
General Studies Program
Honors Program
International Student Services
Library
Gallaudet Research Institute
Visual Language & Visual Learning
Campus Life
Athletics
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Commencement
Food Services
Intramurals
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Bison
Daily Digest
Campus Directory
Subscribe to Gallaudet Alert
Help Desk
Maps & Directions
my.Gallaudet
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus Services
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University
FacebookTwitterYouTube