Manuscripts

MSS 104
Maryland State School for the Deaf
Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942


Gallaudet University Archives


Descriptive Summary

Repository: Gallaudet University Archives
Call No.: MSS 104
Creator:
Title: Collection of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, 1936-1942
Quantity: 0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box)
Abstract:
Note: This document last updated 2006 January 5.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information:
Processed by: Thomas Strunk. 2000 October 24.
Processing Note:
Conditions on Use and Access: This collection is open to the public with no restrictions. Photocopies may be made for scholarly research.


Related Material in the Archives:

Deaf Rare

  • Fifteenth quadrennial reunion : June 9, 10, 11 1950 / Alumni Association of the Maryland State School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
  • Commencement exercises : Maryland State School for the Deaf, Frederick, Maryland, May 31, 1945. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare
  • Basketball schedule : 1908-1932 / compiled by Norman Rothman (a student of the school) Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Rare

Films

  • Deaf Schools in Different States [motion picture]. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Deaf Film 62-8

School Reports

  • Biennial report of the Maryland State School for the Deaf. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: School Reports

Scrapbooks

  • Scrapbook of clippings on Deaf and Blind, and the State schools between 1832 and 1865. Gallaudet University Archives, Call Number: Scrapbook Album AL 1

Historical Sketch

The State Legislature formed the Maryland State School for the Deaf on September 25, 1868 in Frederick. Original buildings of this school were the Hessian Barracks for 7 years, while the new buildings were being built. Ground was broken for the new building on August 29, 1870 and completed on September 8, 1875. William D. Cooke served as the first principal of this school. The first student enrolled was Mary M. Ijams. Thirty-four students attended the first class on first day, many of them in barefoot. George W. Veditz was one of the most prominent graduates of this school, and he became teacher after graduating from Gallaudet College. The school removed ‘State' from its name in 1956.

Scope and Content

This collection is composed primarily of progress books/curriculum made by teachers of the school and workbooks that students of this school worked on. The progress books/curriculum made by teachers includes the methods of teaching different academic subjects and goals of speech and speech reading training. Teachers made curriculum plans for every month of the school year.

Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
No Series

 
Box Folder Title of Folder Date
1 1 Teacher’s Progress Book 1936-1937
1 2 Teacher’s Progress Book 1937
1 3 Students’ Workbooks 1940-1942

 

About Gallaudet
2014 Presidential Search
Administration
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Museum
Public Relations
Visitors Center
Admissions
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Library
Professional Studies
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
VL2
Campus Life
Athletics
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Commencement
Food Services
Intramurals
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Bison
Campus Directory
Daily Digest
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
my.Gallaudet
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University
FacebookTwitterYouTube