How to Request Materials
Archival materials are stored primarily onsite; however, some materials are stored off-site and may require advance notice for retrieval. Material does not circulate and may be consulted only in the Archives' main reading room, located in the Merrill Learning Center, room B125.
Patrons may request retrieval of materials prior to planned visits by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
When requesting materials via e-mail or at the reference desk in the Archives, patron requests must include:
- First, check ALADIN, Gallaudet's Online Electronic Catalog, to find whether or not we have the materials you are looking for and to find the exact location and call number of desired items.
- Important Call Numbers:
- MSS-- Manuscripts
- SMSS-- Small Manuscripts
- Gallaudetiana-- Vertical File containing information specifically about Gallaudet University
- For more information on call numbers visit the "Collections" page
- Collection Call Number, i.e. "Deaf Biographical File, 'Clerc, Laurent'" or "MSS 144"
- Name of the Collection, i.e. "Yerker Andersson Papers."
- For Large Manuscript collections, patrons must include box numbers or series numbers, i.e. Box 28 of 44. This information is contained in the register for each manuscript series.
- A typical request appears like this: "Box 28 of 44, Lankenau Collection, MSS 151 (Box Number, Name, Call Number)" or " Deaf Biographical File, Gallaudet, Edward M. (Call Number, Name)"
- When scheduling ahead for a planned visit, please include dates to the archives and as specific of information as to what is being researched so the Archives staff may prepare for your arrival.
For more information about access to collections, you can contact the Archives at email@example.com. Researchers from out of town are strongly encouraged to contact us prior to their arrival to ensure they can access relevant materials in a timely manner.