Fund Administration and Distribution
- Scholarship funds will be distributed on a semester by semester basis (50% per semester). The funds will be credited directly against tuition charges.
- Funds awarded for tuition may be applied to room and/or board costs if students receive other tuition-specific support. In no case will the scholarship be distributed in excess of its original value, refunded to students as cash, or used to cover any expenses other than tuition and on-campus room and/or board.
- Board support, if received, will apply only to the 190 or 220 Block Plans, and will cover no additional board charges (such as guest charges or dining dollars).
- Any scholarship funds not needed as described above will be canceled.
- Students who choose to live off campus will relinquish any room and/or board portion of their scholarships.
Merit Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Scholarship awards are based on "merit", not financial considerations. However, if students apply for and receive Federal financial aid,* the total of all financial aid received (including any merit scholarship awards) may not exceed your educational costs. This is considered to be a financial aid "over award", and it is prohibited by Federal regulations. If this occurs, it may be necessary to reduce a given scholarship award to a level which resolves the over award of aid dollars.
- If students receive (or expect to receive) outside scholarships or financial aid, they should notify the financial aid office in order to determine what effect, if any, it may have on their scholarship award.
- Scholarships are not contingent on financial aid applications. Students who would like to be considered for additional aid are encouraged to complete the required FAFSA and Institutional applications (IFAA). These forms can be found at http://www.gallaudet.edu/Financial_Aid.html.
* Federal financial aid: PELL, SEOG, Work Study, Direct Stafford Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), Direct PLUS Loan, Perkins Loan.