Office of Faculty Development: Programs & Events
Spring 2016 Events
Mark your calendars now for Faculty Development Week!
- We opened with our Teaching and Learning Development Day (TLDD) on Monday, January 11, 2016 (8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.). Dr. Joseph Cuseo lead a series of highly interactive presentations and he made an evidenced-based case student success depends on both student effort and institutional effort-i.e., success involves an inescapable, reciprocal relationship between what the university does for its students and what students do for themselves. Seven research-supported principles of student success wasidentified along with high-priority, high-impact practices for implementing each principle at Gallaudet.
- Dr. Cuseo's PowerPoint presentation and his post-workshop follow up materials can be found in the Office of Faculty Development Blackboard group. These materials are in the "Resources for Faculty" tab of the group.
- On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 (9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) - Dr. Caroline Solomon continued the discussion of assessment and Dr. Christina Yuknis presented on the classroom assessment techniques of Frayer's Model and Word Journal for Institutional Assessment Day
- The full presentation can be found on the Office of Academic Quality Assessment workshops webpage: Workshops and Resources.
- On Wednesday, January 13, 2016, Dr. Leslie Rach and her superstar GSR Team lead professional development for all faculty about the various teaching methods they have found successful in their classrooms.
- Department and Program Meeting Days (January 14 and 15)
Voice-to-ASL interpreters were available on January 11 and 13.
Fall 2015 Events
- Teaching and Learning Development Day (August 17): "Student Success is Everyone's Responsibility" (please note: this link contains all three PowerPoints in one file). Presentations by Dr. Beth Benedict, Faculty Fellow for Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach, Dr. Dennis Galvan, Professor and Chair of the Psychology Department, and Ms. Lindsay Buckho, Director of Institutional Research in LLRH6. Coffee and tea begins at 8:00AM until 8:45AM with the program at 9:00AM. Lunch will be provided with registration from 11:30AM - 1:00PM.
- Institutional Assessment Day (August 18): "Analyze, Synthesize, and Criticize, oh my!: Check out our critical thinking toolkit!" Presented by Dr. Caroline Solomon (STM) in LCB 111 (basement of Merrill Learning Center)
- GSR Development Day (August 19): Concurrent workshops offered from 9:00AM to 11:30AM and again from 1:00PM - 2:30PM in SLCC 1302 and 1303. Documents and information are available via Blackboard under the "GSR Teaching and Learning Days" link on the right side. If you do not see this, please contact Dr. Leslie Rach.
- Department and Program Meeting Days (August 20 and 21)
- New Faculty Orientation (August 24 - 26)
- Welcome for all new Undergraduate and Graduate students (August 27)