China Study Abroad Spring 2014 FAQ

China Study Abroad Banner

Spring 2014 "Deaf Chinese: Visual Expressions and Daily Life" FAQ

1.     Do I need a Chinese Visa for the trip?
Yes, you will need a Chinese Visa for your trip. However, if your passport is from Singapore, Brunei, or Japan, you do not need a visa.  

2.     Where can I submit my application? 
In April, the Gallaudet Study Abroad staff will collect your visa applications and all supplementary materials. The materials will be then taken as a group to the Chinese Embassy Visa office and your visas will be given to you upon approval prior to the date of travel. More information regarding specific deadlines will be supplied closer to the date required.  

3.     What documents do I need for my visa?  

  • Your Passport
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • $140.00 for China Tourist visa application
  • Completed visa application which can be downloaded from here:
  • Immunization record

4.     Which immunizations do I need?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that all visitors to China receive five specific vaccinations before traveling:

  1. Hepatitis A
  2. Hepatitis B
  3. Japanese encephalitis
  4. Rabies
  5. Typhoid and polio.

You are responsible for getting yourself immunized before the trip. Check with your Physician. The following agencies provide travel immunizations

Traveler's Medical Services 
2141 K Street NW #408
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 466-8109
Appointment Needed
Travel Advisory and Immunization Clinic 
15005 Shady Grove Rd
Suite 450
Rockville, MD 20850
(301) 738-6420
Loudon County Health Dept.
102 Heritage Way
Leesburg, VA
(703) 777-0236
Call for Clinic Hours
Traveler's Clinic 
George Washington Medical Center
2150 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20037
(202) 741-3333
Appointment Needed
International Traveler's Clinic 
Director: H. Bahar, M.D.
11500 Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, MD 20852
(301) 468-1212
Open 7 days a Week!
Smart Travel 
4600 King Street
Suite 2P
Alexandria, VA 22302
(703) 379-8645 or (800) 730-3170
Farragut Medical & Travel Care Clinic 
815 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC
(202) 775-8500
Walk-Ins Welcome
Passport Health 
1734 Elton Road
Suite 112
Silver Spring, MD 20903
(301) 408-4544
Capitol Travel Medicine 
1401 Wilson Boulevard
Suite 1007
Arlington, VA 22209
(703) 351-5100
Appointment Needed
Foxhall Immunizations 
3301 New Mexico Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20016
(202) 362-4467
Appointment Needed
  Fairfax County Health Dept., Reston Health Center
1850 Cameron Glen Drive
Suite 100
Reston, VA 22030
(703) 481-4242
Appointment Needed
Northwest Nurse Practitioner Associates 
3000 Connecticut Avenue, NW
North Entrance, Suite 338
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 483-6672 phone
  Fairfax County Health Dept., Joseph Willard Center
3750 Old Lee Highway
Fairfax, VA 22030
(703) 246-7100
Appointment Needed

  In addition to receiving the immunizations, The CDC also recommends drinking only boiled or bottled water, avoiding food from local street vendors and making sure food is fully cooked during your stay in China.    

  5.     During the trip, what personal expenditures should I expect to spend?
Some "out of pocket" expenses should be anticipated, depending on the individual's choices:

  • Currency exchange fees
  • Souvenirs
  • Any room charges such as in-room entertainment and laundry
  • Any extra fees, such as change of route, additional tickets, excess baggage charges, etc.
  • Any meals taken on your own, away from the scheduled program.  

6.     Am I allowed to make changes to my flight after conclusion of the Program?
Gallaudet University Travel Policy item #22 states, "Travelers on a Gallaudet sponsored trip, who desire to extend their stay or join the group at a later date must secure written permission from the tour organizer/leader PRIOR to the start of the trip and before group tickets have been issued. The travelers are responsible for any charge assessed for deviation from the group itinerary."  

7.     Should I be concerned about my health and safety while abroad?
No, you do not have to be concerned as resources and precautions have been taken care of to assure your safety, such as:

  • Onsite Faculty and staff are trained in how to handle any type of problem that may arise during your study abroad experience.
  • Onsite Faculty and staff are in constant contact with Gallaudet University Emergency Management Team for any emergencies arising from this program.
  • We will register you with the United States Travel Alert web portal during your travel period in China. ·         Onsite Faculty and staff will adjust the activities to avoid any potential problem that may affect the program adversely.  

8.     What happens to me if a medical emergency happens while I am abroad?
If a medical emergency occurs, we will make sure your emergency contact is notified before making any major decisions.   

9.     How does my grading work for the course?
At the end of the spring 2014 semester, you will be assigned a temporary grade of "IP" ("in progress"); this will be converted into a letter grade upon completion of a final summary report and assessment, due after returning from China.   

10.    Where can I find a copy of the China trip's itenerary?
An itinerary will be made available closer to the date of departure. 

11.    How much does the trip cost?
The student is responsible for paying $600 towards above expenses.  ($200 nonrefundable deposit paid at time of acceptance, $400 by January 31).  Actually, the cost of the trip exceeds $4,000 per person; the remainder is being paid by a grant from the U.S. Department of State (S-ECAAS-12-GR-127KF).

Financial aid resources are available for students. Please visit the Gallaudet University Financial Aid Office to learn more about using your federal financial aid for study abroad.

11. Who do I contact if I have more questions?
You can email if you have more questions. Additional information on the trip can be found in the trip's brochure or on Gallaudet's study abroad page. 

About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Communications and Public Relations
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
GU Press
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Mission & Goals
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Global Education and Scholar Services
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Undergraduate Majors and Programs
Graduate Programs
Professional Studies
Career Center
Academic Catalog & Course Info
General Studies Program
Honors Program
International Student Services
Gallaudet Research Institute
Visual Language & Visual Learning
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Daily Digest
Campus Directory
Subscribe to Gallaudet Alert
Help Desk
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus Services
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University