Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
About Cirricular Practical Training:
Curricular Practical Training is an off-campus employment authorization, which allows F-1 students to gain work experience in their major field of study. To be eligible for Curricular Practical Training, an F-1 student must meet the following basic requirements:
· Be in F-1 visa status.
· Be in a degree-seeking program.
· Have completed at least one academic year (nine months) of your program in an F-1 visa status.
· Engage in employment related to your major or academic program.
· Register for academic credit for your work experience.
Application Procedure for Curricular Practical Training:
All of the following information must be provided to ISS for CPT authorization to be given. Please expect a processing time of three to seven days for ISS to complete the authorization. Processing of your CPT application cannot begin until all of the following documentation has been submitted:
· Form I-20 ID
· I-94 card (small white card)
· Proof of registration for related academic course work (Course Selection Form)
· A copy of the job offer letter with the letterhead you obtained from the employer.
The job offer letter must contain the following information:
1. Name of the Employer
2. Location of the Employmer
3. Beginning and ending dates
4. Number of hours per week
Beginning work without authorization from the Immigration and Naturalization Service (USCIS) or International Student Services (ISS) is a serious violation of your F-1 status.
You should be aware that a Social Security Number (SSN) does NOT authorize you to accept employment off-campus.
Cirricular Practical Training (CPT) Spotlight:
Kristyne Reeds is a Deaf Canadian citizen working on obtaining her second degree, a Bachelors of Science in Accounting. After completing an on-campus summer internship with the Administration and Finance program, Reeds wanted to pursue a fall internship in accounting. To read more about Kristyne's CPT experience, click here.