Student Visa Information


You will need to go to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to where you live. Please take with you the following:

·  Your letter of admission from Gallaudet University

·  Your passport

·  SEVIS Form I-20

·  SEVIS Receipt

·  Financial Support papers. You may use the same financial documents you used for your Gallaudet University Certificate of Finances form.

·  One recent passport picture of yourself. The size of the passport picture should be 37mm x 37mm and show your full face, without any head covering, and against a light background.

·  Cash equivalent of about $160 U.S. dollars.

At the embassy, you will be asked to fill out a Form OF-156. You will need to submit this form with the documents to the Consular officer. If there aren’t any problems, the embassy or consulate will process your paperwork and issue you a student visa. Your visa may be either a single or multiple entry visa. If you receive a multiple entry visa, you may use it to re-enter the United States as often as needed until the visa expires, as long your Form I-20 is signed and validated.

If you are a landed immigrant, a refugee, or have asylum status, you must follow the “HOW TO APPLY FOR A STUDENT VISA” procedures explained above.

NOTE:  You are not eligible for a temporary (non-immigrant) student visa unless you have a clear and definitive intent to return to your country of residence after your studies. During your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, any statement you make that would cast doubt on your intent to return home after your studies could lead to a denial of your visa application.

Some suggestions of how to respond when meeting with an Embassy Official or Consulate would be to:

·  Keep your answers short and to the point.

·  Do not argue with the consulate officer.

·  Do not tell the officer that you intend to work in the U.S. while a student at Gallaudet or after completing your studies.

·  Ask the officer for a list of documents to submit if your application for the visa is denied.

Canadian students: A Canadian citizen does not need a visa when entering the United States as a student. At the border-crossing point, you will have to present your Canadian birth certificate, the SEVIS Form I-20, your SEVIS Receipt, your admission letter from Gallaudet University, and financial support documents to the U.S. Immigration Officer. Canadian students are required to have a Canadian passport to facilitate entry into and exit from the United States.

If you are already in the United States and are transferring to Gallaudet, please submit evidence of your full-time enrollment status from the preceding semester/quarter at your previous school, along with your new SEVIS Form I-20 to Mona Blanchette McCubbin, International Student Advisor, before classes begin. Otherwise you will not be allowed to register for classes. If you need more information or appropriate forms, contact Mona Blanchette McCubbin at




About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Communications and Public Relations
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
GU Press
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Mission & Goals
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Global Education and Scholar Services
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Undergraduate Majors and Programs
Graduate Programs
Professional Studies
Career Center
Academic Catalog & Course Info
General Studies Program
Honors Program
International Student Services
Gallaudet Research Institute
Visual Language & Visual Learning
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Daily Digest
Campus Directory
Subscribe to Gallaudet Alert
Help Desk
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus Services
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University