Gallaudet University is currently conducting a search for a new University Provost.
February 17, 2014
TO: Gallaudet Campus Community
FROM: Jennifer Nelson and Ed Bosso, Co-Chairs
RE: Provost Search Process - Update
The members of the Provost Search Committee (PSC) would like to provide this update regarding the search.
As planned, the profile for the provost position was completed in December and was posted on key websites. Additionally, advertisements were placed in a variety of publications such as Chronicle of Higher Education (print and online), Diverse Issues in Higher Education (online), Hispanic Outlook (online), Inside Higher Education (online), and Women in Higher Education. Representatives from the search firm Isaacson, Miller (IM) began networking to identify possible candidates in January.
Since the PSC began its work last fall, we have had replacements for the SBG and GSA representatives, with Caroline Suggs succeeding Mark Ramirez as the GSA representative and James Wilson succeeding Hayley McLemore as the SBG representative. We sincerely thank the GSA and SBG for their continued commitment and involvement.
On February 3, the PSC met with IM representatives to begin the process of reviewing candidates. Next steps include the following:
- The PSC will meet again on March 26 to continue this process and will identify which candidates to further pursue.
- On April 18-19 the PSC, guided by IM, will conduct off-site interviews. After these interviews, select candidates will be invited to participate in campus visits for the next and final phase of the interview process.
- The target for completion of the search and selection of a candidate is mid-May.
You can view information and previous announcements on the University's Provost Search web page (http://www.gallaudet.edu/provost_search.html). We will continue to keep you informed throughout this process.
December 20, 2013
We are pleased to announce that the position profile for the provost search is complete.
A description of the position of Provost is now available to download.
The profile was developed through an inclusive process led by Isaacson, Miller (IM), the executive search firm retained to assist with the search for a new provost. IM conducted meetings with various stakeholders and collected valuable input that assisted with the development of a position profile. The information collected was transformed into a profile that offers a thoughtful description of the institution’s goals and directions as well as a realistic and enticing picture of the challenges, measures of success, and ideal qualifications. This profile is an essential tool for the recruitment of potential candidates.
Members of the community are encouraged to submit specific names or potential sources to IM representatives to assist with the recruitment process. Information can be sent to the following:
Michael Baer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Daniel Rodas, email@example.com
Natalie Leonhard, firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you, again, for your participation in this important effort. We will continue to keep you informed throughout the search process.
October 3, 2013
Dear Campus Community:
This notice shares new information about the search for a new University Provost. A change in the status of a former member of the Provost Search Committee created an opportunity to address a request from the Chair of the Faculty Senate, Dr. Khadijat Rashid, to increase faculty representation and appoint a faculty co-chair on the search committee. As a result of these changes the composition of the search committee is now as follows:
- Edward Bosso, vice president, Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center, co-chair
- Jennifer Nelson, professor, Department of English, co-chair
- Isaac Agboola, interim dean, School of Education, Business, and Human Services
- Thomas Baldridge, professor, Department of Business and director, Business Administration Program
- A. Dwight Benedict, dean, Student Affairs and Academic Support
- Amy Hile, assistant professor and recruitment coordinator, Department of Education
- Charity Reedy Hines, interim Chief Enrollment Management Officer
- Susan Jacoby, executive director of planning, development and dissemination, Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center
- Hayley McLemore, undergraduate student and president, Student Body Government
- Norma Moran, coordinator of planning, assessment, and accreditation, Office of Assessment
- Deborah Chen Pichler, associate professor, Department of Linguistics
- Lawrence Pick, professor, Department of Psychology
- Mark Ramirez, graduate student and representative, Graduate Student Association
- Lillie Ransom, professor, Department of Art, Communication, and Theater
- Bonnie Simmons, coordinator of grants management, and budget planning, Research, Graduate School, Continuing Studies and International Programs
- Max Kazemzadeh, associate professor, Department of Art, Communication and Theater
Again, I am very appreciative of each and every one of these individuals for agreeing to serve on this committee and to Ed Bosso and Jennifer Nelson for accepting shared responsibility to lead the committee. All search committee members understand that in this capacity they will be serving the University as a whole rather than a specific constituency. And as always in our search processes the work of the committee will be conducted in a confidential manner.
I know the entire campus community will take an active interest in the search for this important position and want to participate in the selection process for the new provost. To that end, the search committee co-chairs will ensure that information from the search committee will be announced to the campus community as appropriate, including a job description and opportunities for public forums with the final candidates.