Applying for Readmission
Readmission packets must be received in the Registrar's Office by the dates below in order to be considered for readmission for the terms indicated.
- October 30th - Appeal deadline for Academic Suspension
- November 30th - Deadline for all readmission documents
- April 30th - Appeal deadline for Academic Suspension
- July 30th - Deadline for all readmission documents
Who must apply for readmission?
- All students who leave the university for more than one full semester must apply for readmission. In general, students who left Gallaudet University in good standing, both academically and behaviorally, will be readmitted.
- All students who leave the university on academic probation or suspension or with disciplinary concerns must apply for readmission. Their cases will be taken before the Faculty-Student Affairs Committee to determine their eligibility to return to Gallaudet University.
- It is strongly recommended that students on academic suspension take a full-time academic load (12 hours or more) at another institution and achieve a 2.5 or above GPA on those hours. Failure to take classes away from Gallaudet University may result in being denied readmission when you reapply.
The readmission packet includes three documents:
- The completed Application for Readmission form.
- Official transcript(s) from each school attended while away from Gallaudet University are due by the deadline for documents.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, advisors, employers, or community leaders. Letters will not be accepted from family members or friends.
- A statement clarifying your academic history and explaining your purpose for readmission.
The statement must be specific and should include the following:
- The reason you wish to return to Gallaudet University;
- What you've done while you've been away from Gallaudet University (attended another university, worked full time, etc);
- An explanation of how you plan to achieve academic success if readmitted to Gallaudet University;
- If applicable, the circumstances that led to your poor performance in the semester(s) you attended Gallaudet University (grades of "D" or "F" in all courses).
*The Faculty-Student Affairs Committee will consider your statement in making their decision about your eligibility to return to Gallaudet University. Failure to include a full explanation of any of the items listed above may affect the outcome of the committee's decision.
Submitting the readmission packet:
- The completed Application for Readmission form and statement of educational goals may be mailed or faxed to the Registrar's Office. Official transcripts must be received directly from the issuing institution in a sealed envelope.
- Due to the Faculty-Student Affairs Committee meeting schedule, application deadlines will be enforced.
Returning for Second Undergraduate Degree