Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Below are the frequently asked questions that the Office of Residence Life and Housing have received from residents in University residence halls. We will be adding more questions whenever they become frequent.


  • What kind of appliance am I allowed to bring?

Any appliance that does not contain an open heating element and is approved by the Underwriters Laboratory (UL) is allowed. Microwave ovens are permitted. However, the following items are NOT permitted: toasters, toaster ovens, sandwich makers, cooking burners, and any similar appliances. Some items that are not on this list may still be forbidden. When in doubt, please call our office.

  • Can I bring my computer?

Yes! Gallaudet University has been superb in keeping pace with computer technology advances. Each room is equipped with an ethernet hookup to allow for networking. You will be required to purchase an Ethernet card if one does not exist in your hardware (information will be provided by the Gallaudet Technology Services during business registration). You are encouraged to buy insurance for your computer and to register it with the Department of Public Safety when you arrive. Please reference the Gallaudet University Technology Policy governing the use of University network resources.

  • Does my room have a telephone?

Each room is equipped with a telephone jack for each person. A telephone representative will be present during business registration for you to initiate phone service. You will be responsible for the installation fee and monthly telephone bill.

  • What do you suggest that I bring with me?

You will need your own small wastebasket, study lamp, mattress pad for your bed (mattress is 80" long), extra long twin sheets, hangers, alarm clock, iron, small ironing board, laundry basket, and other personal items. Be aware of your room size and space limitations. There are no storage rooms in the residence halls.

  • Am I allowed to bring my car?

Yes. Cars are allowed on campus. All cars must be registered with the Department of Public Safety where you will be issued a parking permit. You must provide proof of insurance. Please visit Parking on Campus for more information.

  • Can I have an overnight guest in my room?

Guests who are not members of the University community are permitted only upon invitation. It is the responsibility of the host or hostess to ensure that the guest is properly registered and that the guest's presence or behavior does not infringe on the rights of a roommate or other residents.

  • Can I bring my pet?

No. For reasons of health and safety, no pets are permitted in the residence halls or even on the Gallaudet campus. Service animals may be permitted on campus. If you plan to bring yours, contact the designated University representative on Service Animals for policy information and registration via e-mail at You can view the Administration and Operations Manual policy on Service Animals here.


  • Are residents required to have meal plans?

Yes. All on-campus residents are required to participate in a meal plan. You have a choice of three different meal plans (21, 15, or 10 meals per week). For more information, please contact the Business and Support Services Office via e-mail at or call 202.448.6969.

  • What if I'm on a special diet?

Gallaudet University is very conscious of our students with special dietary needs. The University Dining Services manager is available to anyone who has concerns about dining on campus. If you need special meals or are requesting a waiver from the University Meal Plan, please contact the Business and Support Services Office via e-mail at or call 202.448.6989.

  • May I cook in my room?

Yes, but only with the appropriate cooking appliances (link to cooking)


  • Who is eligible to live on campus?

To live on-campus, full-time students are given priority. However, if available, part-time students may live on campus.

  • Can my contract be terminated?

Yes. If you violate your residence contract or if you are academically dismissed, your contract to live in the residence hall can be terminated.

  • Can I stay on campus during vacations or breaks?

Yes. You may remain on campus during the Thanksgiving and Spring breaks. However, the meal plans do not cover the Spring Break. During the Winter Break, you must physically vacate the building, but you may leave your belongings in the room. Refer to the academic calendar for the dates of the Winter Break.

  • Can I stay on campus over the summer?

You may stay on campus over the summer only if you are attending the summer session or are working in the metropolitan area. You should expect to move to a designated summer residence hall. You will be paying for the room should you decide to stay during the summer.


  • What if I don't like my roommate?

First, do not be quick to make judgments. We encourage you to attempt working out the problem by talking with your roommate. If you are unable to work out a solution, contact your residence hall staff for alternatives. A room change can be made only if space is available or a switch can be made. A Roommate Change period will be done during the first week of each academic semester (Fall and Spring) and again during the first week of December for the Spring academic semester.

  • Do I have a choice of roommate(s)?

For new students, rooms and roommate(s) are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. The Office of Residence Life and Housing matches roommates by sex and age similarities. If you have a preferred roommate, you and your roommate of choice must both fill out the application with the name of your roommate preference.

After your first year on campus, you will participate in the regular room lottery process based on a point system (GPA and credits accumulated).

  • How can I be assigned a single room?

Limited single rooms are available for those who have medical/disability needs then after that group has been exhausted, individuals over the age of 35 will be considered.


  • May I drink alcoholic beverages in the residence hall?

Gallaudet University is committed to providing a campus environment that is free from illegal or abusive use of drugs and alcohol. All students are subject to state and local laws pertaining to alcohol. Students must be 21 years of age to consume or possess any form of alcoholic beverage. There are residence halls designated as alcohol-free and, regardless of students' or guests' ages, no alcoholic beverages are permitted. In other residence halls that are not designated as alcohol-free, people of legal drinking age, either resident students or guests, may consume or possess alcohol.

  • What are the consequences of violating the alcohol policy?

Your first alcohol violation will result you a penalty assessment and a referral to an alcohol or drug workshop. The second violation may result in an additional fine and/or termination of your housing contract.

  • What will happen if my guest possesses, transports, or consumes any type of alcoholic beverages within the residence halls?

You are responsible for your guest, and both of you will be subject to disciplinary action which may include a fine and/or cancellation of your residence contract as well as the removal of your guest from campus premises.

  • Am I allowed to consume alcohol in the hallways?

No opened bottles or cans of alcoholic beverages are allowed in public areas. This includes the halls way of the residence halls.

  • Are there any restrictions on the size of containers of alcoholic beverages in the residence halls?

Party balls and kegs are not permitted in the residence halls.

  • Can someone be arrested for possessing, using, or distributing drugs on campus?

YES. State and federal law and the University policy prohibit these activities ANYWHERE on campus.

About Gallaudet
2014 Presidential Search
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Daily Digest
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2014 Gallaudet University