Reduced Course Load for F-1 Students
Effective January 1st 2003, international students may not drop below a full course of study without prior authorization from International Student Services. Full-time status means 18 credits per semester for ELI Program students, 12 credits for undergraduates, and 9 credits for graduate students. A student may be able to enroll for fewer hours if he or she:
· has completed required coursework and is working on a thesis/dissertation.
· has completed required coursework and is preparing for a comprehensive examination. (Note: This form must be completed every fall and spring semester until student passes comps.)
· is in the final semester of the course of study and does not need to enroll full-time to meet degree requirements.
· is in the first academic year and is having difficulties with English language or reading requirements.
· is in the first academic year and is unfamiliar with American teaching methods.
· has been advised to drop a course because of improper course level placement.
· has a graduate assistantship and is registered for at least six semester hours, which his/her department considers a full course of studies.
· has specially documented medical conditions.
PLEASE REMEMBER: Only the International Student Advisor has the authority to authorize a reduced credit load for international students! Academic Advisors DO NOT have this authority.
To file for a reduced course load, please bring your completed Request for Less Than Full-Time Enrollment Form to your International Student Advisor. See the forms under the International Student Services. If approved, your International Student Advisor will issue you a new Form I-20.