It is that time of year again: tax season is upon us!
Wednesday, April 15 is the deadline for filing taxes for the 2014 tax year with the federal government, the District of Columbia, and most states, including Maryland and Virginia.
All students are required to file Form 8843, even if they did not earn any income in the U.S. last year. This requirement applies to any person with an F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 visa.
The Office of Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA) strongly encourages students to attend the free annual tax service offered by the University. This service is open to international students as well as American citizen students.
Please stop by ELY 202D for tax help from accounting experts:
- Thursday, March 26, anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Friday, March 27, anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Saturday, March, 28, anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
You must bring the following documents to the tax service:
· Passport· I-94 card
· Form I-20 (for F-1 or F-2) or Form DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2)
· Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
· Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters you may have received from your institution or sponsor· W-2 Forms
· Copies of your 1040NR(EZ) filed for tax year 2014
· Interest from the bank in 2014 (if any)
· Form 1099MISC
Please note that RSIA staff members cannot give advice about taxes!