*Permanent Residency

To be considered for admission to the English Language Institute or as an undergraduate or graduate student at Gallaudet, you must submit a copy of your alien registration card--also known as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card (green card), front and back, and include your resident alien ID number and the date the ID number was issued.

The term "international student" means an individual who:

  • Is not a citizen or national of, or lawfully admitted for permanent residence in, the United States.
  • Does not provide evidence from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services that he or she is in the United States for other than temporary purposes with the intention of becoming a citizen of, or lawfully admitted for permanent residence in, the United States.
  • Is not lawfully admitted for permanent residence in American Samoa, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands.

According to the United States Government, "lawful permanent residency" refers to the individual's immigration status, stating that the individual has obtained authorization to live and work in the United States of America on a permanent basis. Please be aware that permanent residence is not the same thing as U.S. citizenship. A U.S. Permanent Resident Card--green card--is a plastic card with the individual's biographic information, photo, fingerprint, and expiration date issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (see below).  

U.S. permanent residency

If you have applied for U.S. permanent residency, please note that you will be considered an international student and be charged international student tuition rates, until you submit a copy of your green card to Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA).

If you are a lawful permanent resident of the United States, and provide a copy of your green card to RSIA, you will be considered a domestic student and charged tuition accordingly. If you fail to submit a copy of your green card, you will be considered an international student and charged tuition according to those rates. If you have lost your green card, you must request a replacement card and provide RSIA a copy upon its arrival. RSIA cannot accept an alien registration number (A number); until proof has been provided you will be charged international tuition rates.

Without proof of this identification document you will be blocked from registering for courses and proceeding with business registration, which is required prior to the start of each semester.

*NOTE: RSIA staff members are not authorized to offer any legal advice or guidance to anyone wishing to become a permanent U.S. resident. For more information about permanent residency in general, we recommend consultation with a qualified immigration attorney. For more information, visit http://www.uscis.gov/greencard.

About Gallaudet
Campus Photos
Clerc Center
Contact Us
Employment Opportunities
Fast Facts
Make an Online Gift
Maps & Directions
Media Inquiries
University Communications
Visitors Center
English Language Institute
Financial Aid
Graduate Admissions
Graduate Orientation
International Admissions
Professional Studies
Test Center
Undergraduate Admissions
Academics & Research
Archives/Deaf Collections
Career Center
Catalog & Course Info
General Studies
Graduate Programs
Honors Program
Office of Academic Quality
Professional Studies
Registrar's Office
Research Support and International Affairs
Undergraduate Majors
Campus Life
Bison Shop (bookstore)
Campus Activities
Food Services
Public Safety
Residence Life and Housing
Washington, D.C.
Tools & Resources
Campus Directory
Help Desk
Gallaudet Alert-subscribe
GU Press
Kellogg Conference Hotel
Maps & Directions
People @ Gallaudet
Shuttle Bus
Gallaudet University | 800 Florida Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20002
Copyright © 2016 Gallaudet University