Tax Information for the 2012 Year
Please visit the Income Tax Information page for more information about income tax services.
All foreign students are required to file U.S. income tax returns regardless of whether they work or not. You are required to file Form 8843, even if no income was earned in the U.S. last year. This requirement applies to students with an F-1, F-2, J-1 or J-2 status. You should also be aware that some parts of scholarships may be taxable. Federal returns and State of DC, MD, and VA tax returns are due April 15th.
You must bring the following documents to the tax service.
· I-94 card
· Form I-20 (White Form for F Status) or Form DS-2019 (White Form for J Status)
· Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
· Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters you may have received from your institution or sponsor
· Forms W-2
· Copies of your 1040NR(EZ) filed for tax year 2012
· Interest from the bank in 2012 (if any)
· Form 1099MISC
Please note that RSIA staff members DO NOT give advice about taxes.