All students are required to file U.S. income tax returns regardless of whether they work or not. Accordingly, they are required to file Form 8843, even if they did not earn any income in the U.S. last year. This requirement applies to any person with a F-1, F-2, J-1 and J-2 visa.
Research Support and International Affairs (RSIA) strongly encourages students to attend the annual tax service offered by the University for assistance in filling out the required forms. To benefit, you must identify yourself as an international student. You should also be aware that some parts of your scholarships may be taxable.
Federal, State of Mqryland and Virginia, and District of Columbia tax returns are due April 15
You must bring the following documents to the tax service:
· I-94 card
· Form I-20 (for F-1 or F-2) or Form DS-2019 (for J-1 or J-2)
· Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
· Any scholarship or fellowship grant letters you may have received from your institution or sponsor
· W-2 Forms
· Copies of your 1040NR(EZ) filed for tax year 2013
· Interest from the bank in 2013 (if any)
· Form 1099MISC
Please note that RSIA staff members cannot give advice about taxes!