Become a school social worker
with diverse deaf and hard of hearing children!
School Social Work Specialization Application
Please respond to the questions below to be considered for the School Social Work Specialization. Applicants for the School Social Work Specialization should respond to questions 1 through 4. If you are also interested in applying for the U.S. Department of Education grant funds, complete question 5.
Applicants for the School Social Work Specialization may be asked for an additional letter of recommendation which addresses personal qualities for working with children in a school setting.
- Describe past employment or volunteer experiences that you have had working with children or adolescents. What was the duration of the experience and the nature of your work? Describe any experience that you have had working with the families and how these experiences might lay the groundwork for school social work.
- What previous courses have you taken that support the development of skills in the field of school social work?
- What personal qualities indicate that you will be a good candidate, that you have the temperament, the passion and commitment to work in a school setting with children and families whose issues may be quite challenging? What qualities do you have for collaborative work with many professionals in a sometimes complex educational setting?
- How do you assess your ability to communicate in ASL with deaf children? If you do not feel that you have the skills necessary at this time, describe how you will develop these skills.
- If in addition to applying for the School Social Work Specialization, you are also applying to participate in the U.S. Department of Education Grant, please respond to this final question:
Finding an appropriate position in a school may require a certain amount of flexibility. Realizing this, what steps are you willing to take to ensure that you will gain employment in a school setting, including the possible move to a new area in order to find a match in either a residential or mainstream school with deaf children, a step required by the terms of the grant?
Please include a copy of your resume.
Please send your responses to:
Department of Social Work
800 Florida Ave., N.E.
Washington, D.C. 20002-3695
ATTN: Kota Takayama, Coordinator of School Social Work
And/or via e-mail to Kota.Takayama@gallaudet.edu